Author Topic: new honda jazz  (Read 19894 times)

guest1372

Re: new honda jazz
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
As Deeps says - no switch.

This was discussed a while back with someone claiming to have a switch at full travel, but I am certain that although there may be a change in the return spring tension - there is no switch.  There are two non-contact magnetic rotary position sensors which produce a low voltage level signal monitored by the ECU (TPPS A & TPPS B).  The ECU has a threshold above which it enters a higher mode.
--
TG

* My '68 Mustang had a press switch on the floor by the pedals, but that was for high beam.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
* My '68 Mustang had a press switch on the floor by the pedals, but that was for high beam.

As did my '68 Mini, and a few other cars.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:39:56 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
Okay. I've just spent five minutes on my hands and knees investigating and it's not a switch. It's just that the last little bit of travel is 'protected' so that you need to give a bit of extra pressure. Once you've overcome that brief resistance the remainder of pedal travel seems normal. It's as if the mechanism has some kind of 'gate' as if Honda want to protect the very last bit of travel from accidental pressure.

If other CVT models don't have it I should probably ask my dealer to take a look at it. I'm not keen on the idea of my accelerator pedal not operating smoothly when it should do.

:o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:19:10 PM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
Okay. I've just spent five minutes on my hands and knees investigating and it's not a switch. It's just that the last little bit of travel is 'protected' so that you need to give a bit of extra pressure. Once you've overcome that brief resistance the remainder of pedal travel seems normal. It's as if the mechanism has some kind of 'gate' as if Honda want to protect the very last bit of travel from accidental pressure.

If other CVT models don't have it I should probably ask my dealer to take a look at it. I'm not keen on the idea of my accelerator pedal not operating smoothly when it should do.

Looks like all or most CVT cars have that feature - below is an extract from a Mini CVT owner manual

Kickdown
In 'kickdown' mode, you achieve maximum
acceleration and maximum speed in
position D.
Press the accelerator pedal past the
increased resistance point at the full-throttle
position.

I have also read that a special valve on the transmission (selected by ECU and info it receives from throttle position sensor) operates to affect the oil flow to CVT pulleys and achieve kickdown effect,  maybe they don't want you to go there all the time in normal driving as it may stress the transmission.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »
Two of my previous cars, a Focus 2.0 TDCI and a KIA Ceed diesel, both with manual transmissions, had a detent near the end of the accelerator travel. Going beyond this pedal position provided extra turbo boost for a few seconds. This was explained in both cars user manuals. Accelerator switches or extra resistance areas are not exclusive to automatic cars but my manual Jazz does not have one.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:04:23 AM by Deeps »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Don't worry - my Mk 3 CVT has the same extra pressure point near the end of the accelerator travel.  Going beyond it results in a sharp downshift in gearing.  It may also be the mechanism by which the speed limiter is temporarily overridden (handbook page 419).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
It's amazing what you find in handbooks!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
If all else fails read the instructions !
It's probably a man thing.

Vic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
If all else fails read the instructions !
It's probably a man thing.

Vic

I am a lot more likely to read an instruction book than her indoors,  she would rather do it wrong,  but God help me if I try to tell her  :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2017, 10:37:30 PM »
I used to work with a bloke who was always saying "RTFM" to colleagues struggling with IT or any other issue. I think you can guess what it stands for!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
There is no mention of a Flux Capacitor in the Jazz user manual so an operating switch is not rquired (on the MT one).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:22:41 AM by Deeps »

Tags:

anything