Author Topic: A reminder about your clock  (Read 10588 times)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
A reminder about your clock
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
Don't forget it's a car, not a tablet, phone or watch with wheels. How good a car would it be if timex or swatch made a car?
Oh wait.....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:35:08 PM by Paulwhitt20 »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: A reminder about your clock
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I don't know If the HRV uses the same system as the Jazz but as andruec says above the DST on / off is only a switch that moves the set time forward an hour when on and back when off.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:30:32 AM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
I don't know If the HRV uses the same system as the Jazz but as andruec says above the DST on / off is only a switch that moves the set time forward an hour when on and back when off.
The systems in the two vehicles are very similar, if not the same. My HR-V was an hour wrong until turned DST on.  I have never needed to adjust the minutes which suggests that the device is getting the time from somewhere but, as already noted, that time will be UTC.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
Edit: John beat me to it :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:58:39 AM by andruec »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
I am not a mobile phone user, so my Jazz is not getting the time adjusted that way.  I have occasionally tried to use WiFi when parked outside the front door, and it has connected, though I've never been able to use it for anything. I think the clock is instructed by the digital radio signal, like a domestic PVR or TV.  My Mk 2 jazz did not have DAB radio, and I had to correct the clock manually from time to time.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
DAB would make sense in that it's always available. Even if the user hasn't actually set it up that doesn't stop it tuning to a channel itself. The only problem with that theory is that I have a DAB clock radio so I know that the accuracy is rubbish. It rarely agrees with my radio controlled watch, yet my car does.

A year or so ago when I got the clock radio I did some research and found that DAB (at least in the UK) has an accuracy specified as +/- two (or possibly three) minutes. Certainly my clock isn't just always out by a bit. It varies from day to day, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast. Usually by just a minute but sometimes by two.

But thinking about it I've never actually used the radio function so that's another confirmation that just being 'DAB capable' can be enough to allow a device to get the time.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
  My Mk 2 jazz did not have DAB radio, and I had to correct the clock manually from time to time.

Which is what I have to do and it is hardly rocket science and it works unlike the 'modern' Jazz infotainment system which apparently doesn't!

Vic.

martint123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 ex navi
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
And (most/all?) VHF radio stations transmit the time as part of the RDS system and all the car radios I've had over the years have set themselves from that.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »
Wh :(ich is what I have to do and it is hardly rocket science and it works unlike the 'modern' Jazz infotainment system which apparently doesn't!
if you can find the correct buttons. From what I remember of the Mk2 they are printed in dark grey on a light grey background :-/

But computers are supposed to make life easier and it annoys me some'at rotten that with the all information it has the Infotainment unit can't save us the bother.

Technology is wonderful..if it's well designed and well implemented. The trouble is it so rarely is these days
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:13:09 PM by andruec »

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
It's not a easy as it sounds to automatically change the clock at the right time anywhere in the world.

Computers don't actually know the time. They just know the number of seconds that have passed since 1st January 1980. They then use and algorithm to convert the seconds into a date and time.  As the daylight saving is different for different countries the algorithm has to know where you are in the world and what time zone you are in.

About 20 years ago I wrote an algorithm to change the clock in a PLC. Something like on the first Sunday of March after the 23rd at 1 am add an hour. That works okay. But on the first Sunday in October after the 23rd at 1am you put the clock back. Then an hour later it's 1 am again so you have to remember that you have done it already this year so not to do it again, and again, and again....

Now if you set the clock from a phone, or the internet you need extra hardware to have an internet connection. It's much easier and cheaper to let the drive adjust the time twice a year. Are we really that lazy. A lot of us still choose to change gear ourselves.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
It's not a easy as it sounds to automatically change the clock at the right time anywhere in the world.
That depends what you mean.

The fact that computers usually store the time/date as the number of <somethings> elapsed since a given moment in time (for Windows it's the number of 300ns elapsed since Midnight 1st January 1601) is largely irrelevant. The algorithms needed to generate human comprehensible dates are built in. For the person that had to write them it might have required a little thought but they were written as part of the OS initial development phase (maybe by you) and never visited ever again.

If you know a time, a time zone and a date Android, Windows and any other modern OS can tell you the time in that zone with a trivial amount of programming. I work in C# and if I want to know the current time in EST it's as simple as:

var easternTime = TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTimeBySystemTimeZoneId(
    DateTime.UtcNow, "Eastern Standard Time");

There may well be some maths going on under the cover but that matters nothing to me. To me as a software developer it's a trivial method call.

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
Here we go again, that time of year to worry about getting clocks changed to 'winter time'.  Despite all advice on here I was unable to sort problem myself  previously.  Today I was getting a main service done for car which is shortly to be two years on the road.  This time the mechanic insisted on giving me a demo on doing it for myself.

The key problem was noone had told me to SWIPE the screen from left to right.
So  from the home screen, SWIPE
This brings up a 'settings' option.
Select settings and then 'system',
Scroll down the system options in dropdown screen and select 'reset'

Ignore other options pertaining to clock and select 'daytime saving'

Now confirm with the OK on bottom of screen and job done  ;)

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
* andruec goes off into the corner to have another rant about the infotainment unit.

>:(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
Point of order --- No such thing as winter time, we are just back to GMT ( Greenwich mean time).

BST (British summer time) is GMT+1 hour, designed to make the most of daylight in summer and boost profits of food, drink and leisure industries.

Time is much easier to change on cars without screens.

I leave the clock on my motorbike on BST all year round, don't ride it much in winter and can easily take an hour off the time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:25:05 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »
I usually forget the clock in the car, but while sitting waiting on Mrs Jocko this morning I decided to preempt the change, so that is me ready for Sunday.

Tags:

anything