Author Topic: A reminder about your clock  (Read 10589 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
A reminder about your clock
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
Due to someone at Honda or Pioneer being a bit crap at programming we have to manually change our clocks to BST. Note that you should not actually change the time. Instead you want:

\Home\Settings\System\Daylight Savings = On

You'll have to scroll past the clock and time zone settings to get to 'Daylight Savings' (more poor design).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:16:43 AM by andruec »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: A reminder about your clock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
Thanks!
I can't check now but I thought from the last thread about this, that even with that setting on, the clock did not get changed, and that it was therefore necessary to change the actual time.
Could be remembering wrong.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
I can't check now but I thought from the last thread about this, that even with that setting on, the clock did not get changed, and that it was therefore necessary to change the actual time.
It may be version specific but I'm still on RC4 and setting Daylight Savings to On corrected the time.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
It may be version specific but I'm still on RC4 and setting Daylight Savings to On corrected the time.

I have remembered how it works (I think)...... you are right....changing the setting advances the clock without needing to change the actual clock setting. The previous thread I was remembering was being surprised that it did not automatically change like most other devices.

I am away from my car until Tuesday. It will be interesting to see what it has done. As far as I am aware it gets the time from my phone when they are connected (i.e. whenever I am in the car with phone), so why wouldn't it change to the time my phone says on Tuesday (i.e. BST)?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »
You can also access the daylight saving setting via [Home] >Settings > info > Daylight saving.

Turning this on will toggle the 1 hr forward and off for the 1hr back in autumn.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
I actually think that manually changing the hour is the right thing to do. The daylight saving day is not always the same from country to country. Just imagine the moans if it changed on the wrong day.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
DAB radio stations transmit a time signal, if my bedside alarm clock radio gadget can sort itself out so should my car. Previous cars I have owned have auto updated their time without DAB receivers.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
I actually think that manually changing the hour is the right thing to do. The daylight saving day is not always the same from country to country. Just imagine the moans if it changed on the wrong day.
You're misunderstanding what the option does. The daylight savings option on the infotainment centre is a manual function. It doesn't activate a rule set. By switching on DST we're telling the infotainment that right now is DST. If switched on in December the infotainment would show BST times during winter. Different people in different countries just activate the option on different dates.

In any case computers handle DST switching all the time. In point of fact they don't change the clock (all computer clocks run to UTC) but rather they apply a 'correction' when interacting with the user. As long as a computer knows the current locale (time zone) and the date it can handle DST just fine. Unfortunately there is no way to tell the infotainment unit the date so were stuck with having to tell it when DST is active. There's a whole load of logic in there to handle this and it's going unused. It's cheap and naff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:48:55 PM by andruec »

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Well despite all advice on here last Autumn I was unsuccessful at 'fixing' the time.  I had to leave to garage for service in November and it was magically correct on return.

guest1372

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
Am I understanding this correctly - the infotainment unit does not show the date anywhere?  Surely it's not going back to 1 Jan 1970 each time it's switched on, this would upset many 3rd party apps (if allowed).
--
TG

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
On the alternative display that I have chosen, the "Info" screen shows the time and date digitally.  I usually select the analogue clock and the date continues to be shown digitally beside the clock-face.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
On the alternative display that I have chosen, the "Info" screen shows the time and date digitally.  I usually select the analogue clock and the date continues to be shown digitally beside the clock-face.
Now you've got me intrigued. Where do we set the date?

I'm going to out to car to check again. 'cos if it knows the date and it knows the timezone then this is just *censored* crap programming.

Edit: Well I still can't find anywhere to set it but I note that the Android system is set to update date/time 'automatically from the network' and seems to be spot on. Given how generally rubbish most clocks are these days I'm now wondering where it's getting that from. I have wifi turned off but it does connect to my phone when I'm driving. I wonder if there's two clocks - the Android one and the infotainment one?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:46:21 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
If there are two clocks which one supplies time to the multi function display?

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
If there are two clocks which one supplies time to the multi function display?
Good question. The whole thing seems weird and two clocks seems an odd way of doing things so that's probably a silly idea.

The Android system appears to be automatically updating its time from 'the network'. I double checked and it's spot on with my watch (radio controlled) and my phone. That's either one helluva coincidence or it really is syncing with the phone when it connects over Bluetooth. Or else it enables its own wifi now and again and gets its time that way (plausible but seems unlikely). DAB might be another source except that I've never used DAB on mine so don't know if it has any channels configured.

But we can manually adjust the time in the infotainment unit. I wonder what would happen if I adjusted it wrongly. I might try that test. Would it auto correct?

But after all this the question remains: If the Android system is updating its time automatically and since it knows the date and time zone..how come we have to faff about with DST?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:17:23 PM by andruec »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »
An observation from my HR-V which (mis)behaves in a similar fashion to the Mk 3 Jazz.

I think, if the touchscreen system is paired with a phone via Bluetooth then it can grab the time / date from (or through) the phone. However, I found that my HR-V didn't change to DST automatically but, when I went into the settings, DST was off. So I enabled DST and then the displayed time was correct. I can't remember for sure what happened last October as I had only just got the vehicle. However, the HR-V was serviced only 10 days ago which was meant to include any software updates (the auto stop is now working enthusiastically) and an update might have reset DST to off.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: