Author Topic: Replacement battery  (Read 5020 times)

guest5079

Replacement battery
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
In it's seventh year, last week during the very cold weather, I noticed a definite hesitation in starting. The car after a 100 mile trip hasn't been started since, so I am perhaps being a little pessimistic in thinking the time has come to replace the battery before it fails.
I know members speak of up to 10 yrs from a battery but I do not know what sort of use the car had before we bought it.
The problem is what battery should I buy. I looked on the Yuasa site, which I believe make the Honda battery and they came up with two variations one a 35amph and a 40 amph. A quick look shows Halfords with a silver Yuasa bearing a different number. Cox's have a Honda replacement but that only has a stingey 3 yr guarantee at less than a cheepo price.
What are the views on say a Bosch or other well known make and what about the calcium batteries.
While cost is to be considered, I don't want to be pound wise and penny foolish.
I want a battery that I can rely on and will last more than a few years, more so as the I shift like a CVT can't be bump started. Suggestions appreciated.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Replacement battery
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
On previous comments on here reference replacement batteries Yuasa have always been to the fore.

If the battery is replaced by a dealer there should be no problems with any of your on board settings as, if they are worth their salt, they will attach a 'keep alive' battery to the terminal leads to preserve your settings (radio etc).

Vic.

guest5770

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
I had a Bosch battery on my motorhome which would sit unused for weeks at a time. It failed when it was 10 years old, which I didn't think was at all bad.
I think all batteries are far better now than they were in the 1970's when you were lucky to get 3 years out of one. Other than the motorhome battery I haven't had to buy one for ages so I wouldn't worry too much what you get.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »
I replaced mine with a Yuasa battery a few years ago, had no problems since so I would go for this again.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
If it were me I would go for a Yuasa,used them a lot on my bikes, never had a problem .

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
If Carlsberg made batteries they would be Yuasa.

Had them on cars and motorbikes, never had a problem - May cost a bit more but remember you get what you pay for.  Also used to work for a company that supplied manufacturing machinery to battery companies and yuasa had the best R&D and manufacturing standards.

Got yuasa silver batteries on both our Hondas - extremely low self discharge and high power density for the size - also 5 year guarantee and 50,000 starts as opposed to 20,000 for a standard battery,  will probably outlast the car.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:01:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the input. They say cars will confound you, it had been standing for well over a week and when I checked the voltage with a meter it read 12.44v which I believe is OK. The car started immediately so as my Wife says I should be called Marlon with a black cloud over my head,
I checked prices and at the moment Halfords have a Yuasa silver seal for under £70 with a 5 yr warranty.
Others offer Banner? for well over £100 and a 4 yr warranty.
So at the moment it is a watch and wait.

Tags: