Author Topic: Towbar electrics  (Read 10226 times)

guest6577

Towbar electrics
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »
Do I need to get very expensive £150 ish dedicated wiring from Honda for a towbar I'm getting fitted , or will universal wiring at about £8 be ok , please? What has got me worried is mentions of having to get car's computers reset after fitting new electrics. Having not had a relatively modern car before , this has all come as an unpleasant surprise. Many thanks in advance.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Towbar electrics
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
Many years ago I got all from a company called Towsure, very helpful, infact as a family we probably had about five kits from them.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
will universal wiring at about £8 be ok?
Yes.

The Mk1 is quite straightforward, and has no complicated electronics or computer stability programs for towing so a basic kit will be fine.  The dedicated kit is just a couple of plugs so that you can plug in the towbar socket between the drivers side rear light cluster and the car wiring; with the basic kit you have to splice the wires.

A regular 7 pin socket is easy enough to fit, although the rear light wiring is quite thin so a bypass relay can be helpful (or fit led lights to the trailer board).  They should also fit an internal beeper so you can hear when the trailer indicators are working, plus the towbar and it's socket will be checked at an MOT.  I fitted a 2nd hand Honda OEM towbar and it was all quite simple.
--
TG

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
Nothing needs reset. The hassle is pulling out all the trim. Instructions were a bit rubbish. I've got a load of photos from last month when I finally got round to fitting mine. I'll do a write-up eventually.

I don't have an internal beeper, if either of the indicator bulbs are out on the trailer the dashboard indicator tell-tales flash fast.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:28:59 PM by Eddie Honda »

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
Nothing needs reset. The hassle is pulling out all the trim. Instructions were a bit rubbish. I've got a load of photos from last month when I finally got round to fitting mine. I'll do a write-up eventually.

I don't have an internal beeper, if either of the indicator bulbs are out on the trailer the dashboard indicator tell-tales flash fast.
Hi Eddie do you tow with your Jazz, also have you got photo's still from when you fitted it..
Thanks
andy

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
Hi Andy,

Yes I do tow with the Jazz and as it happens I'm towing with it today/ tonight. I won't be home until tomorrow morning.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
Hi Andy,

Yes I do tow with the Jazz and as it happens I'm towing with it today/ tonight. I won't be home until tomorrow morning.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?
Hello Eddie we was looking at getting a Jazz with CVT and towing a light weight folding caravan but would not be towing regular, so do you see this as being ok I would be doing regular service on the Jazz, I like your photo..
Thanks
Andy

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Don't see a  problem if weight limits are observed. GD CVT models are rated at 800kg. One of the later ones is not type approved for towing.

GD kerb weight is about 1000kg. I'll check the details tomorrow.

As you can see I've just picked up an old Combi-Camp Plus, they weigh nothing. :-) My 'usual' trailer is a Franc Duuo Plus.

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
Don't see a  problem if weight limits are observed. GD CVT models are rated at 800kg. One of the later ones is not type approved for towing.

GD kerb weight is about 1000kg. I'll check the details tomorrow.

As you can see I've just picked up an old Combi-Camp Plus, they weigh nothing. :-) My 'usual' trailer is a Franc Duuo Plus.
Hello mate thank you for that info the sort folding caravans we have looked are around 700-800kg max, I really like the GD also happy to change CVT fluid ect regular, we would only be towing say a few times a year..
Thanks
Andy

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
I think the towing weight on the 1.4 manual is 1000kg, not bad for a little hatch!

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks Paul i'll be having CVT, but even an 800kg makes me happy enough, also mate I agree not bad for a little hatch Honda are always great.. 8)
Thanks
Andy

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
I've fitted the Honda OEM towbar twice now since I decided not to sell the car (maybe next year).  The electrics can all be spliced from the offside light cluster but that wiring is all pretty light gauge so an LED light board may make sense.  I found a standard board gave me pulsing intensity brake lights when the lights & hazzards were on - my original mistake was to splice the trailer earth to one of the rear light cluster earths but the tiny wire limited the max current flow, changing the trailer earth to connect direct to the body fixed that issue.

21W + 21W + 21W + 21W + 5W + 5W = 94W   The car's combined tail/brake light earth is only designed for 26W
--
TG

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
Hi all at moment I have looked in to kits that need splicing in, but also looked at plug and play options..
Thanks
Andy

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »
My electrics were plug 'n' play. Either throw the instructions away or use a mirror and then throw them away.

guest7207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
Mate thanks for the advice was the plug and play easy to fit, also eddie did you manage to find the kerb weight out..
Thanks
Andy

Tags:

anything