Author Topic: A tyre warning!  (Read 17262 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: A tyre warning!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
So I just had a call from the garage servicing my car and they reckon the front tyre treads are getting a bit low. Down to 4mm. That's after about 8,000 miles  :o. The Honda Jazz does have a reputation for wearing the fronts a bit quick but 8k is terrible. And no, I'm no Speedy Gonzales. Quite the opposite really. I normally get over two years out of a set of front tyres.
For comparison I've just had my first service after 12,500 miles.  Fronts both 4.9mm, rears 6.4mm and 6.0mm
What kind of driving is that? You've done 50% more miles than me so is it longer distance? Most of my driving has been urban/extra urban. 20% of mine is probably rush hour traffic and multiple roundabouts. Even the country bits have a few tight bends.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
My driving is in the main carried out in rural Dorset.  I have probably done about 1,000 motorway miles in the last year but the majority are journeys of around 15 to 20 miles.

I would like to think there is some kind of correlation between driving style, tyre wear, brake pad wear and MPG.  So for interest, over the last year, my MPG (measured from the pump) has averaged 50.25 and cost me £1,225.00 with a cost/mile of 10.09p.

Brake pads at the service were 8mm front and 6mm rear.

As previously posted average tyres were 4.9mm front and 6.2mm rear.  Wear is slightly higher on the outside of all, which is to be expected on bendy country roads.

I don’t consider myself to be a sedate driver but neither am I a boy racer.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
Style must have something to do with it.

I'm not sure what my annual MPG has been but I also measure it at the pump and it's only gone below 51mpg three times this winter. During the summer it was typically around 54mpg. But our brake disc usage is very different. At the service mine are recorded as 10mm all round. That would certainly makes sense as I rarely use my brakes except to stop. It's a matter of pride with me. Even though I now don't have much engine braking to count on I still prefer to control my speed using just the accelerator pedal.

Now I would have thought that braking and consequent acceleration were hard on tyres but it's also true that I like to take bends faster than most vehicles. Maybe my avoidance of braking has left me with a confidence about my car's abilities that means I'm generating more wear through lateral forces? It's true that most vehicles don't keep pace with me around bends and I've got into the habit of dropping back on roads I know to give myself a gap to the vehicle in front when I approach bends.

But how about town driving? Every weekday I have to drive two miles in then two miles out of Banbury. That's six roundabouts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:56:55 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
Got all four boots changed this morning. Tracking was apparently a bit out but not hugely so. No sign of excessive scuffing, just well worn. Nothing to do now but see how long these Michelin Energy Savers last.

guest4871

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Just had my car serviced. Honda dealer has shown all tyres thread depth 2mm below the actual tread depth (even on a brand new unused spare). The more gullible would have bought four new tyres from them.

And the front brake pads have gone from 15% wear to 70% wear in about 3500 miles. The more gullible would have had them replaced.

That together with a suggested unnecessary air con service and engine oil flush would have netted them more than £500 from a naïve customer by giving bad advice/ miss selling.

To my mind it's dishonest. I more than despair.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
zzaj

I have had similar experiences - although I don't use dealers much except for odd MOT they have noted that brake pads and tyres have more wear shown that they actually have on their 'visual health check ' sheet.  Also ATS when they replace tyres have noted brake pads as 'needing urgent replacement'  when they still have at least 5mm of pad thickness,  this year Honda dealer MOT visual health check sheet also noted that my Nokian winter tyres were 'budget' tyres, so they do not recognise a good quality winter tyre when they see it .

I think you are correct that they rely on gullible people who either don't have the skills or the inclination to check these things and just tell them to replace stuff - a work creation scheme.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:22:06 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
To my mind it's dishonest. I more than despair.
My dealer isn't too bad. I confirmed the tread wear using my own gauge. some would consider 4mm not worth warning about but actually I agreed with it. I like to change mine at 3mm so their warning was timely as far as I'm concerned.

The disc wear figure I can't check but it was so low that unless they are trying to sell me a new car by getting me involved in a crash I assume it's correct.

They do however suggest at the service that you have the full flush and engine treatment. I decline that. Honda make damn' good engines and if they felt that such a thing was necessary it'd be part of the service procedure.

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Our last two Exs had Dunlop's fitted and we had to replace around that mileage. It seemed a fault to me, or perhaps even a cheap tyre.  Relieved that the current one was fitted with Michelins.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 12:56:33 AM »
My civic had it's mot and service 3 weeks ago.
They did a health check and the dealers informed me that rear brakes pads 90 percent worn disk minimum thickness 8.03 mm front brakes pads 60 percent worn disks below minimum thickness 20mm quoted price £290 each declined and did the job myself total parts £168 that for both rear pads disks and front brake pads and disks.
I am studying motor mechanic course at college part time and have passed the level.one.
Brakes easy to do ..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

guest5545

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
My mk2 Jazz has just had its 2 year service with 22000 on the clock.  Front tyres are both at 3 mm, rears on 4 mm, all Dunlops.  My wife says I think I am Lewis Hamilton (in a Jazz - come on), so I guess 3 mm at 8000 miles is a bit iffy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
My Mark 2 has 27k miles and fronts are 5mm, rears 4.5mm - after swapping front to rear last year..

guest4871

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
My Mark 2 has 27k miles and fronts are 5mm, rears 4.5mm - after swapping front to rear last year..

What tyre pressures do you use?

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
Well for what it's worth, five months later my fronts are at 7mm and my rears are at 8mm. So after five months no appreciable wear at the rear and not a great deal at the front. So looking like the fronts will do 18 months to two years which is what I'd expect. Yay for Michelin Energy Saver+ and boo to Dunlop.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
Well for what it's worth, five months later my fronts are at 7mm and my rears are at 8mm. So after five months no appreciable wear at the rear and not a great deal at the front. So looking like the fronts will do 18 months to two years which is what I'd expect. Yay for Michelin Energy Saver+ and boo to Dunlop.

That's good to hear. On our Mk3 EX the Dunlops are down to 5mm after 11K miles, but unfortunately a pot hole means I need a new tyre. Gone with two Michelin Energy Savers. Hope to keep out the pot holes..

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
32F.30R..
Checked regularly but very low leakage.

Tags: