Author Topic: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right  (Read 30987 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »
One thing to remember is that when the outside temperature drops to about 4 degrees or less the a/c won't work (some safety thing to protect the system) so even if you have got the climate control on and the temp set etc you will still get some misting so as the others have pointed out just press the demist button as required.

I agree, all air con systems have a low temperature cut out to protect the system from damage due to freezing. My air con is almost always on but I know the indicator light lies at low temperatures.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
One thing to remember is that when the outside temperature drops to about 4 degrees or less the a/c won't work (some safety thing to protect the system) so even if you have got the climate control on and the temp set etc you will still get some misting so as the others have pointed out just press the demist button as required.

Demist button still relies on aircon to dry the air   :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »
It's interesting to see the different experiences. I do agree that pressing demist quickly clears the screen but the mist comes back after ten to fifteen minutes in my experience. Annoyingly it will keep doing that even on long journeys (the Mk2 at least - not driven the Mk3 that long at this time of year yet). I dislike having to manually intervene when there's a supposedly automatic system in place. I believe such systems should be set-and-forget. All the system needs to do is send some air at the windscreen now and again. I shouldn't have to keep telling it to do that.

The manual suggests that the normal air flows are feet and/or dashboard. That suggests there's no normal flow the windscreen. But it may be that in full auto it only sends air to the feet. I'll have to try overriding it and see if that helps. But I remember playing extensively with the Mk2 and never managing to resolve the issue.

I'm not aware of any dampness anywhere but it's worth a look. There's only me uses the car and it's garaged overnight. But it sounds like there's something odd going on. This and my previous car are the only ones that have suffered misting windows after the first ten minutes of a journey.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:50:25 AM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
However re-reading the manual suggests that the car should maintain temperature even if one or more settings is overridden so perhaps I can set it to screen and cabin manually. That would be okay.

and the score is

Humans 1 (the common sense team)  VS  Automation  0 (the artificial stupidity team)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
Humans 1 (the common sense team)  VS  Automation  0 (the artificial stupidity team)
Which is nothing to be proud of because humans designed and built the auto system.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »
Which is nothing to be proud of because humans designed and built the auto system.

Automation Engineers are not human, they are a completely different breed. I know I am one

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
This is clearly untrue.  If the human contents of the car stopped breathing there would be no condensation ;D.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
This is clearly untrue.  If the human contents of the car stopped breathing there would be no condensation ;D.

wet clothes and shoes (and wet dogs), outside air humidity (especially if the humidity is so high it is coming down in buckets), temperature  etc. etc. contribute much more to misting up than us mere humans and our bodily functions.

I will try the breathing thing,  but have to convince my wife  :-X

Automation Engineers are not human, they are a completely different breed. I know I am one

I know because I used to be one, they have to think of all the bad things that can happen and try to guard against them, only natural pessimists need apply  :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:22:36 AM by culzean »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
With the coming of driverless cars if you leave the occupants out as well there would be no misting problems or any others come to that !

Vic.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »

Demist button still relies on aircon to dry the air   :-X

Not at low (below about 4C) temperatures it doesn't. The air con can not work at low temperatures and cuts out to protect itself from damage, although the indicator light stays on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:08:41 PM by Deeps »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »

That is not strictly true.

In the winter, driving a car is like having a moving refrigerator. The windscreen collects moisture on the external side which then evaporates - The latent heat lost cools the glass and causes condensation on the inside..

Once drove to Scotland at night. Most of the way it was -3-5C  and the aircon/heating coped.  But in one valley the temperature fell to -18C   :o and the screen misted up very quickly...

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »
You once drove to Scotland, wow! I often drive to the south of the UK.

I live in sunny Scotland, it sometimes gets a bit cold, depending on where you live, averaging a couple of degrees cooler than the south east of England, I live near sea level. The temperature is 9.6C here at the moment.

Ye canne change the rules of physics captain, no matter where you are . Air con does not work at low temperatures.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:28:59 PM by Deeps »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
You once drove to Scotland, wow! I often drive to the south of the UK.

No need for the sarcasm. I was brought up and educated there and have driven there at least 400 times since I moved to England.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
At least there's a vent position that is screen+feet. Hopefully I can leave it set to that. It's a shame that the system can't do something like that automatically though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »
At least there's a vent position that is screen+feet. Hopefully I can leave it set to that. It's a shame that the system can't do something like that automatically though.

Ventilation in a car is a very personal thing for a lot of people, my wife can feel draughts that NASA couldn't detect with their most sensitive draughtometer - she often messes with various vent positions to get rid of the air that is blowing on her sensitive ear or neck - this often means turning screen air vents off.

Tags: