Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 80234 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
I think that it is only a TPMs system failure that would fail an MOT. Don't think it would fail for a light that resets on calibration. I think calibration would have to fail too.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
I think that it is only a TPMs system failure that would fail an MOT. Don't think it would fail for a light that resets on calibration. I think calibration would have to fail too.
I suspect that is a grey area. The MOT tester’s responsibility is:
“Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.”
(Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot)

So if he’s presented with a vehicle where the TPMS Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is sounding an alarm, does he conclude the system is working because it’s detected something, or does he conclude it’s not working because it’s clearly a false alarm ? I believe Peteo48’s view is that the system must have a fault which would logically be a fail at MOT. Because it’s unclear, hence my suggestion to ask the dealer for clarification about whether they would fail it. Of course you could just remember to reset immediately before the MOT and hope it doesn’t happen during the test ...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
“Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.”
All that means is that when the ignition is first turned on, the TPMS light must light. As must the ABS, electronic power steering  and airbag warning lights. No pulling bulbs (where that is possible) to disguise a fault.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
All that means is that when the ignition is first turned on, the TPMS light must light. As must the ABS, electronic power steering  and airbag warning lights. No pulling bulbs (where that is possible) to disguise a fault.
Ah, pulling. A great idea at a nightclub but rarely a good idea with bulbs, fuses or on a golf course ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »
Just thinking out loud and bearing in mind Colin's suggestion about asking the garage if it is an MOT fail, I suppose it is possible that the car could give out genuine AND false alarms. One way to test would be to deflate one of the tyres by, say, 7 psi (around 20%) and see if it activates.

But then I look in the manual to read that the system doesn't operate at low speed. Don't fancy testing this theory out on the motorway!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
Spoke to service department today. Agreed I will book it in when the symbol next appears. The guy said it is a common problem!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:15 PM »
A couple of days ago I adjusted my tyre pressures, they were over inflated a bit from new. I initiated a calibration and have not had any alarms. I suspect my self inflicted alarms on my previous Jazz were a good learning experience.

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2018, 01:42:23 PM »
So my tyre pressure warning lights came on and on checking one tyre in need of air.  All now pumped up to recommended pressure.  But how to get the warniing lights to go away?    >:(

Garage  on phone, tells me setting in is in the deep reaches of touchscreen ( where you have to go to reset for summer time)  but I cant find an appropriate spot.  And garage tells me it needs to be done twice!!  Yes need to get garage to do it but I am not convenient to one at the moment.

Advice anyone?  Mark 3 Jazz here 2015

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
Make sure you have the handbrake on or you won't see it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
So my tyre pressure warning lights came on and on checking one tyre in need of air.  All now pumped up to recommended pressure.  But how to get the warniing lights to go away?    >:(

Garage  on phone, tells me setting in is in the deep reaches of touchscreen ( where you have to go to reset for summer time)  but I cant find an appropriate spot.  And garage tells me it needs to be done twice!!  Yes need to get garage to do it but I am not convenient to one at the moment.

The tyre warning has to be recalibrated, this is done by scrolling through the pages of the right hand display with the buttons on the lower right of the steering wheel. When you get to the page showing a square with an arrow press select ( the center button ) then scroll to the deflation warning screen. Press select. Scroll to initialise. Press select. Then scroll to the square and arrow and select to get back to the normal display

Edit

As ColinS said Handbrake must be on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:51:47 PM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

Visual aid here:

guest4871

« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
Excellent demo. Bit of a palaver though.

The problem with computers is that you need a brain to operate them.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Excellent demo. Bit of a palaver though.

The problem with computers is that you need a brain to operate them.

All you need is a grandchild! :-)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
Yeah, I think peteo48 can do it blindfolded with a diving belt over his arm by now :(.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
Do all cars fitted with the TPMS have false reading problems or only Honda ? It looks like it could become one of those systems where everyone,including dealers, will say "Oh they all do that."
Is it another dismal failing in Honda's 'infotainment' System?

Vic.

Tags:

anything