Author Topic: Tyres! Winter or All Season?  (Read 16394 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tyres! Winter or All Season?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »
Well my Cooper WM SA2's are still doing a sterling job, I didn't even bother to swap them over in the spring for the 16" summer set, as I'm doing fewer car miles now, much less than 2k since the MOT in May.
Still unsure as to what to do when they wear out, but judging by the performance over the last couple of days I'll stick with a full winter set, my nextdoor neighbour was well impressed with the grip, where his Q3 Quattro failed to work at all!
The only slight issue was found clearance, as the undertray was scrapping on the snow.

Owners of 4WD vehicles often get cocky in snow,  but it is all in the tyres - I saw quite a few 4WD by us going nowhere in the snow we just had,  they didn't like it when I easily drove past them in a 'mere normal FWD car' (they didn't know I had Nokian winters fitted...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
I went on a 4WD adventure day as a stag night alternative, everyone being quite gung-ho at our coffee break until someone arrived at our summit in a Metro - general silence descended.  All he'd done was swap his wheels to proper off road type, the usual road legal tyres were in the back.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 08:18:19 PM »
I went on a 4WD adventure day as a stag night alternative, everyone being quite gung-ho at our coffee break until someone arrived at our summit in a Metro - general silence descended.  All he'd done was swap his wheels to proper off road type, the usual road legal tyres were in the back.

Went on a stag 'day' a few years ago and as well as 4x4 track they had loads of stuff like clay pigeon shooting.  One of the things was a 'reverse steer' Suzuki 4x4 that had to be driven round a obstacle course but the trick was the 'victim' did not have control of throttle (the instructor worked that), only the steering wheel which worked the wrong way, I quickly sussed that if I held bottom of steering wheel I could move it in direction I wanted vehicle to go.  No Metros on 4x4 course, but it does show what a difference dedicated tyres can make.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
We had one of those days, with Honda Pilots (not the SUV but buggies), Clay Pigeon Shooting, and a reverse steering Series III Land Rover. After setting a time round the course you then had to do it blindfold, with the rest of your team giving the directions. Brilliant fun.

guest5079

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
I read with interest TG's recount on 4x4 driving and the Metro. Sorry to repeat it but it is applicable. I had 2 Metros issued to my beat.  The first was a 1.0 litre and the second a 1.3. Due to the fact that my patch had more unmade roads than made I asked if anything could be done to protect the 'sump' Yes I know it was the gearbox. They fitted a Rally modification. I only got stuck once and it was my fault. I didn't allow for a passenger and got it lodged on a ridge.Another time at an accident I had to get off the road, it was very soft mud, it sank up to the floor and still came out, I thought it was a magic little vehicle. People used to laugh at my 6ft winding into it but it did the job. Of course there were no winter tyres fitted then.
On a different note a colleague, just like the ones in the video, attended an accident. Sheet ice. Parked the Land Rover on the hill. Didn't think to turn the wheel against the kerb OR put it on the grass and wondered why it sailed past him down the hill. Well I put it in gear!!!!!!!!.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
I read with interest TG's recount on 4x4 driving and the Metro. Sorry to repeat it but it is applicable. I had 2 Metros issued to my beat.  The first was a 1.0 litre and the second a 1.3. Due to the fact that my patch had more unmade roads than made I asked if anything could be done to protect the 'sump' Yes I know it was the gearbox. They fitted a Rally modification. I only got stuck once and it was my fault. I didn't allow for a passenger and got it lodged on a ridge.Another time at an accident I had to get off the road, it was very soft mud, it sank up to the floor and still came out, I thought it was a magic little vehicle. People used to laugh at my 6ft winding into it but it did the job. Of course there were no winter tyres fitted then.
On a different note a colleague, just like the ones in the video, attended an accident. Sheet ice. Parked the Land Rover on the hill. Didn't think to turn the wheel against the kerb OR put it on the grass and wondered why it sailed past him down the hill. Well I put it in gear!!!!!!!!.
Your metro a light car the tyres make a difference winter tyres have soft rubber compound that doesn't harden unlike normal summer tyre think of harden rubber like rubbing glass to glass

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
Sheet ice. Parked the Land Rover on the hill. Didn't think to turn the wheel against the kerb OR put it on the grass and wondered why it sailed past him down the hill. Well I put it in gear!!!!!!!!.
Mind you, if it was on ice then turning the wheels or putting it in gear would not make a lot of difference! Remember once waiting in line to get a run at a steep hill, and the gritter came down at about 40 mph. All wheels locked. It was sliding on black ice!

eagle123

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Sheet ice. Parked the Land Rover on the hill. Didn't think to turn the wheel against the kerb OR put it on the grass and wondered why it sailed past him down the hill. Well I put it in gear!!!!!!!!.
Mind you, if it was on ice then turning the wheels or putting it in gear would not make a lot of difference! Remember once waiting in line to get a run at a steep hill, and the gritter came down at about 40 mph. All wheels locked. It was sliding on black ice!
Similar thing happened to me driving my jazz downhill reverse gear hand brake on foot brake on still the car slid downwards miracously avoided hitting any cars.
Next day changed the tyres to winter and the car handling on snow transformed like a limpet stuck like glue on the road

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »
So had a real test today on my Nexen N'Priz 4s all season tyres. Driving on snow is actually ok, the odd spin but moving off no problems compared to the BMW rear wheel drive or Mercedes Benz B Class around me. However, ice is the main issue. The car was going up this hill and wouldn't go any further. Had to reverse into a space with snow and drive up again.

I wonder if full winter tyres would made a difference on ice? Stay safe everyone and stay warm!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 05:09:35 PM »
I wonder if full winter tyres would made a difference on ice?
Yes, they certainly do - the rubber compound is softer, and because the tread has far more sipes, it means the tread blocks are more flexible and grip slippery surfaces better.

Summer tyres are simply too hard at sub-zero temperatures.

eagle123

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
I wonder if full winter tyres would made a difference on ice?
Yes, they certainly do - the rubber compound is softer, and because the tread has far more sipes, it means the tread blocks are more flexible and grip slippery surfaces better.

Summer tyres are simply too hard at sub-zero temperatures.
I got a pair of Goodyear all season gen 2 they are a lot better on snow and good all rounder as in the UK we get the odd snow and then ..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
I wonder if full winter tyres would made a difference on ice? Stay safe everyone and stay warm!

All season are a compromise between summer and winter so are not as good as summer or winter tyres really.  Can't speak highly enough of the Nokian WR-D3 on our Civic and Jazz,  they are totally at home on snow and ice.  The Avons ZV7 on the Civic alloys are absolutely great in summer.   One thing having full winter tyres on steel rims  does is protects your alloys from winter roads and salt,  and the steel wheels do a great job of protecting brakes from all the crap, if the steel rims look a bit the worse for wear after a winter it is easy to slap a bit of Hammerite on them,  which you would not do on alloy rims,  and if you skid into a kerb with steel wheels you don't care as much as you would with alloys.  The wear is spread out between summer and winter tyres so after the initial investment you don't actually lose anything,  all you need is space to store wheels.  On the Jazz we use a winter tyre as summer spare and summer tyre as winter spare,  so it saves wasting money on a silly space-saver setup.

The Jazz is better than most cars in snow,  but with full winters it is unstoppable !
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:34:47 PM by culzean »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »
I also tried my Seat Ibiza manual with Michelin Crossclimate on the same part of the icy slop. Again, same thing happened!

I did have winter tyres for two seasons, 2012-2013 but there were not one drop of snow in London! So I decided to try All Season tyres. So far no complaints but obviously was an eye opener when it didn't do too well in the ice. Will be careful not to venture that particular road tomorrow!

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
Despite the snow, the Jazz is holding well with the Nexen N'Priz 4s. Seems to me that snow is not an issue with these all season tyres but ice is.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
Despite the snow, the Jazz is holding well with the Nexen N'Priz 4s. Seems to me that snow is not an issue with these all season tyres but ice is.
Absolutely 100% agree with that. My Mk.2 Jazz on 4 Winter Tyres was unstoppable, including ice. My Nissan X-Trail 4WD on regular tyres was impressive but not as good as the Jazz. My current Rav4 4WD on all season tyres is impressive on snow but not as sure footed as that Jazz was on the Winters and a bit slippy slidey on ice last night.

When I had my HRV I put two Winters on the front but never experienced weather like this in the two Winters I had it. I offered those Winters for free on the HRV forum when I sold the car but nobody wanted them. Wonder what they are thinking right now. I still have them if anyone wants them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:52:15 PM by richardfrost »

Tags:

anything