Author Topic: Stiff manual gear change  (Read 5234 times)

Madelvic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
Stiff manual gear change
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »
We've just bought a mk3 EX Navi

The gear change is easing up after 1400 miles but has been VERY stiff selecting first gear.  Once it has been selected, the gear lever moves back in very easily

A week after buying the car it was back at Western Honda in Edinburgh. Asked them to look at the handbrake too but they just weren't interested.  Declined to look at the car - just told us a) that's what they do and b) to put some miles on the car.  To be fair gear lever is easing but it doesn't feel right and doesn't compare well with our two previous mk 1 and mk2 Jazzs

Anybody else had issues with gearbox and handbrake adjustment? 

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Stiff manual gear change
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
No issues with mine.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
(Touch wood) mine's been OK too. The only gearchange issue I've had is a tendency to select 6th when I want reverse -  although thankfully not the other way around - but that's probably operator error. You don't say what the handbrake problem is, so all I can say is it's worked as expected without any problems.

A week after buying the car it was back at Western Honda in Edinburgh. Asked them to look at the handbrake too but they just weren't interested.  Declined to look at the car - just told us a) that's what they do and b) to put some miles on the car.
So a customer comes back with an issue and they can't even be bothered to look at it ? Their statement that "They all do that" is clearly wrong because you have two people on here saying "No they don't". Sounds like a dealer to avoid ! It may be a little early to get heavy with them, but remember your rights against the vendor (not the manufacturer) under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. In summary, these are that: goods must be of satisfactory quality, they must be as described, they must be fit for purpose, and they must last a reasonable length of time. If your car has a fault that you believe fails these tests, then it is the responsibility of the dealer to do something about that - that's the law.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
Thats not correct, write to the dealer and tell them about your concerns, recorded delivery. Then follow up to Honda UK . Keep on at them.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
Thats not correct ...
Sorry, which bit, exactly ?
My info came from here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
Scroll down that page and you find this:
"When returning items, beware shops trying the oldest trick in the book: saying they're not responsible for the shoddy goods and you must call the manufacturer. This is total nonsense!
If a company fobs you off by saying “go to the maker instead”, it's wrong. It's the retailer's job to sort it.
It doesn't matter if it's an iPod from a high street shop or a designer frock from a department store. If something's broken, torn, ripped or faulty, the seller has a legal duty to put it right as your contract is with it."

If you have bought something that is faulty, your complaint is against the merchant. They may, of course, take it up with the manufacturer, but that's their problem not yours.

Incidentally, my experience is that if you try to go directly to Honda UK they simply say "Talk to the dealer".

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
thats not correct - your desciption of the gear change - should be easy to engage and smooth on as new vehicle.

Madelvic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks all for the replies.

We are slightly disappointed with the car and much more so with the dealer.

Still enjoying the car but we will act if we don't think it is right and I'll take on board the advice given

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
I have only had dealings with Western Toyota and they have been great. I would demand to see the Dealer principal, (dealership general manager) inform him that you are not happy with the service you have received. If you are still not happy (unlikely) tell him he will receive a copy of the letter you are writing to Honda UK. Dealer principals tend to light fires under their staff when there are unhappy customers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:00:16 PM by Deeps »

Tags:

anything