Author Topic: Jazz Mk 3 Fuel Gauge Behaviour  (Read 2343 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Jazz Mk 3 Fuel Gauge Behaviour
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
Yesterday I took a calculated risk and got the fuel gauge down to one blob (it's a 20 segment display) before refilling with an indicated 25 miles remaining. Also, the low fuel warning came on with a predicted 32 miles remaining. I managed to squeeze almost 37 litres into the nominal 40 litre tank (but maybe the filler pipe represents some undocumented extra volume). The only other time I had run the tank quite low (3 blobs on the gauge) I had managed to squeeze in 36.5 litres so there's some inconsistency unless the car has been clever and recalibrated the gauge.

Either way, it appears that the gauge and warning system on my Mk 3 is much less conservative than I had on my hybrid (also a 40 litre tank) which would assure me that I was about to start running on air when, in reality, there was a least 6 litres remain in the tank.

What have other Mk 3 owners noticed in this respect?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Jazz Mk 3 Fuel Gauge Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »
Filled the tank yesterday and by the time I was at the pump the dial said I had 0 miles left, the gauge was empty and 37.04 litres were squeezed into the tank, so almost 3 litres in the tank, about 30 miles left.
I have put 37.56 litres in and the gauge's were not in such a dire state.
At the moment the mpg is not as good as my old mk1, probably because things are 'tight'.
Still like it though.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Jazz Mk 3 Fuel Gauge Behaviour
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:41:06 PM »
thanks - your findings are similar to mine.

I would add that this time of year worsens fuel consumption by at least 10% - engine takes longer to warm up, cold air has higher resistance, general windier conditions, more power drain by auxiliaries and often the aircon has to be used for demisting.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: