Author Topic: Battery drain? Really?  (Read 21427 times)

Lenilen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012
Battery drain? Really?
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Today I sat in my Jazz, (it's 2012 but only done 8000 miles) and because it was raining outside and streaming up inside I turned on the AC and fan.  After a few minutes all the dashboard lights starring flashing then it all died, and wouldn't start.  After another ten minutes I tried again and it did start.
Is this what Jazz's are supposed to do? Is there any way of telling if the battery is flat? Why would it 'recover' after 10 mins?

Any ideas gratefully received. Lenilen.  ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Battery drain? Really?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
check battery connections are tight and clean,  but on a 3 year old car that only does low miles the battery can be shot - doing short runs and keeping a battery below about 70% charge can cause chemical problems that are not reversible.

could be that alternator is faulty and not charging properly,  with engine running voltage at battery terminals should be about 13.8 to 14.2 volts,   after standing for an hour battery terminal voltage should be at least 12.4 volts,  anything below 12v can mean sulphation has damaged the plates because battery has never been kept sufficiently charged.

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/car_battery/car_battery.htm
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lenilen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »
Great, thanks.  Can see the time has come to find out what a voltmeter is!

guest5669

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
It is known issue around batteries, on both of my Jazz's I've had to replace the battery but thats about it really except for tyres break pads oh and a water pump. 

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »
Air con should only be run with the engine running. Have heard of a couple of cars that have "died" because their owners did not have the engine running.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
I had to replace my Jazz battery as it became damaged after going over the unmade roads and speed bumps on the development that I live on. Evidently one of the batterys cells became dislodged an the battery only put out 10.5 volts so as soon as there was any drain on the battery there was no juice to start the car. Once the battery was changed it has been fine.

If you pop down to Kwik-Fit or Halfords, they will check the battry condition for you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:56:58 PM by Ozzie »

guest5669

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »
I had to replace my Jazz battery as it became damaged after going over the unmade roads and speed bumps on the development that I live on. Evidently one of the batterys cells became dislodged an the battery only put out 10.5 volts so as soon as there was any drain on the battery there was no juice to start the car. Once the battery was changed it has been fine.

If you pop down to Kwik-Fit or Halfords, they will check the battry condition for you.
  I'd stay well clear of both those two especially Kwick *hit.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
The battery on a Jazz is not very big and will soon go flat if you have a few things on without the engine running, especially the a/c.
Mine is a 2011 plate and had to replace the battery last year and it will still go flat if I am not careful and yet there is nothing wrong with it. It is just too small in my opinion.
I now keep my jump leads in the boot just in case.

[
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
Didn't think the aircon will run with engine not turning ?  but the strain of starting and then just ticking over may have made the battery blink if it was in low state of charge anyway.

If you aim to keep the car for a while and have peace of mind Halfords now sell a Yuasa Silver battery for £79 - HBS154  40A/h and 340CCA guaranteed 5 years  50,000 starts which is much better than standard battery and the same physical size (HB154   33AH and 270CCA price £59 guarantee 3 years 20,000 starts).  I also bought HAL earth cable 24" long (part number 165357) and took it from negative battery clamp to the engine block (find a bolt like clutch slave cylinder mounting).  Never skimp on the battery,  it has a hard life with no maintenance and when it fails the car is just a stationary metal box with wheels,  always amuses me how people will spend a fortune on car cleaning products and bling but ignore one of the most vital parts of their car  and 5 years at £79 = 4 pence per day - if you get longer life that is a bonus.

The best battery normal money can buy and a much better earth return for starter current (more voltage on the starter motor),  straight from engine block to battery terminal - car starts now when key is halfway turned  :D

Wouldn't have any other battery than Yuasa on my car or motorbike,  have had other name brand batteries (and not cheap ones either) fail after a short time especially on motorbikes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:53:24 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
The battery on a Jazz is not very big and will soon go flat if you have a few things on without the engine running, especially the a/c.

The aircon does not work without the engine running although if the ignition is in the 'run' position then the aircon light will be on if selected.
About the only thing you normally have on without the engine running is the radio unless you are testing something.

Modern cars are more and more computer controlled and when you switch your car off and lock it up you think that's it, it's shutdown. Not so, the computers are still busy setting themselves to a resting state waiting for the next start-up.

Culzean is right, fit the best battery. It's main job may be to start the car and then the alternator takes over but if the car won't start you are stuck.

Vic.

[

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
My replacement battery was the best one available at the time with either 3 or 4 years warranty and in normal circumstances it is fine.
But, a few weeks ago I was cleaning the inside and outside of the windows and in order to clean the very top of each opening window to avoid the annoying dirt mark accross the top of the glass I had to have the ignition on.
In this state among other things, such as the radio being on, the fans also cycle.
By the time I had finished and I was not that long, but the battery was flat.
As the car does mainly shortish journeys and now that we have short days I probably should connect the battery charger now and then.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
My replacement battery was the best one available at the time with either 3 or 4 years warranty and in normal circumstances it is fine.
But, a few weeks ago I was cleaning the inside and outside of the windows and in order to clean the very top of each opening window to avoid the annoying dirt mark accross the top of the glass I had to have the ignition on.
In this state among other things, such as the radio being on, the fans also cycle.
By the time I had finished and I was not that long, but the battery was flat.
As the car does mainly shortish journeys and now that we have short days I probably should connect the battery charger now and then.

see link for power (amps) drawn from battery by various car equipment,  electric windows take more than you think (20 to 30 amps),  if you wind the windows up and down with engine ticking over you will hear engine hesitate and slow down as the window moves,  especially when it hits top or bottom position.

I still remember when our neighbour (who didn't use his car much) blew up all his tyres with one of those compressors that plug into cigarette lighter socket.   Next thing he tried to start car and battery was flat, he had to connect charger up for quite a while before car would start again - those compressors probably draw up to 10 amps.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch11/11fig16.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:01:23 PM by culzean »

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »
Never had a problem on my Jazz - BUT I had another Honda model. The boot lock would engage but be minimally open, allowing the boot's electric light to stay on even when the boot appeared to be closed. This fully drained the car battery. I eventually sorted the problem out by my self - the lock had evergreen fronds drop in to it when the car was on the forecourt with the boot open in display mode. I flicked it out with my key.

I understand you have checked the connections etc, but worth while having a belt and braces check to see if doors are fully closed?

guest5079

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
When we bought the EX Ishift last year, the salesman ( sorry sales executive) went to great pains to emphasize that the battery fitted is a tiddler. In no circumstances run ANY equipment unless the engine is running.
I suppose we should be grateful these days for the alternator, which will put some 'lectrisicals' back in quite quickly, even at comparatively low revs. In fact it is advisable not to use too many revs when the battery charge is low.
In the old days of the good old dynamo, many a customer came a whoopsey after draining the battery, then bump starting only to have the dynamo melt all the solder inside as they revved the engine to 'charge' the battery.
I went on a day course with Lucas, when the alternators were first coming in. One of the things illustrated was what happened with a full load on the alternator. At the demmo, the alternator was driven by an electric motor, the instructor placed a coin across the terminals and it stopped the driving motor dead, illustrating how much energy was required to fulfill all needs at once.
I think we have all come to expect that all bits fitted work all the time.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »
When I come home when I have used lights, rear screen heaters, heater blowers etc I will run the engine a few minutes after switching off these to get some juice back into the battery. I think it helps the next morning.

Tags:

anything