Author Topic: 1.3 Ex MirrorLink  (Read 3957 times)

guest5704

1.3 Ex MirrorLink
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »
Hi, is the 1.3 Ex supposed to have mirror link compatibility. I picked my new one up yesterday and there is no icon on the display to select it. I've been watching YouTube and its there on the YouTube vids.

Its also mentioned in the Jazz Advertising booklet as being available.

Does it need Honda Connect maybe?

I'm trying to mirror link to s Samsung S4 mini by the way (which does have Mirror link)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 1.3 Ex MirrorLink
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:51:21 PM »
I gave up on trying to make it work (also with an S4 mini). A technician at my local Honda showed he could get the display of his HTC phone to show on the car's screen which is Android 5, so the reason given was that I needed a newer phone. However, once it got mentioned that the link would be cut the moment the car was started (officially to avoid driver distraction but more likely so we can't use a phone sat-nav app) then I lost interest in trying to make it work with my phone (although I tried to connect the wife's Moto Android 5 phone without success). IIRC you need to use a USB cable and keep trying to connect.

I would also add that the car struggles to connect to a WiFi system even though I can sit in the car with my phone connected to my domestic WiFi. This means that downloading any apps through Honda Connect won't be easy. 

There's a lot more discussion somewhere (probably http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7356.0) and my conclusion is that the Honda Connect / Mirrorlink as currently implemented on the Jazz is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I would have preferred if they had knocked a few £s off the price of the car.

A missed opportunity with the on-board technology was not adding a recording function to the camera that reads the road signs. That would have been more useful.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: 1.3 Ex MirrorLink
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
I would also add that the car struggles to connect to a WiFi system even though I can sit in the car with my phone connected to my domestic WiFi. This means that downloading any apps through Honda Connect won't be easy. 
I'm not sure this will work. If you can park close enough to your house to get the wi-fi directly then you might be able to do that, but the car's wi-fi doesn't have an external aerial so the signal probably won't be good. Otherwise what you have to do is set your phone up as a wi-fi hotspot (aka tethering), then connect the car's wi-fi to your phone. If your phone is connected to your domestic wi-fi then it's not acting as a hotspot which is why you can't connect the car to it. So the internet connection is from the 3G/4G cell network to your phone, then by wi-fi from your phone to the car and vice versa. At least that's what I did just to explore what kind of apps are available, only to discover precisely two - the aha radio app and a weather forecast. Am I missing something, are there more somewhere ?

On the topic of MirrorLink, there are indeed videos on YouTube apparently showing it working (including when the vehicle is moving). But you need the right hardware (http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones) and my Moto G just won't cut it; Motorola aren't part of the MirrorLink consortium and apparently have no plans to join (I asked). Just a thought, but it looks like you need to connect with both Bluetooth and a USB cable (a data cable, not a charging cable - I found out the hard way a while ago that not all 3rd party USB cables carry data, some just charge the phone).

Tags:

anything