Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175497 times)

guest5669

What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
I wanted to start a thread about MPG as I think it's really interesting reading the variations for the Honda Jazz. I think one of the reasons of buying a small car is MPG for some people that is not all?  At moment I'm get a real variation of 38 around London 58 to 60 on Motorway to me that's excellent for a semi automatic i-Shift gearbox.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »
2009 i-shift gets regular 44mpg, I think the mpg gauge is stuck !

2011 Hybrid varies from 48-52mpg on driving lessons, but I refuelled before driving 60 miles home today, and saw the range go up to 500 miles, so as I flicked to the mpg, it was up at 66mpg, not bad after 176,000 miles.

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:38:24 PM »
2009 i-shift gets regular 44mpg, I think the mpg gauge is stuck !

2011 Hybrid varies from 48-52mpg on driving lessons, but I refuelled before driving 60 miles home today, and saw the range go up to 500 miles, so as I flicked to the mpg, it was up at 66mpg, not bad after 176,000 miles.

Galactic miles on that brilliant MPG, thought it might be higher for a Hybrid?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
Based on 63000 miles of mixed motoring and actual fuel purchased over 7 years, I have consistently averaged 48 mpg in a Mk 2 1.4 manual.  I generally stick to speed limits!

ck201ga

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Si 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
I am averaging 52MPG on every whole tank during the school runs/shopping etc. The best stats I have managed is 58MPG on an 18mile town & b road journey, 61.8 MPG on a 70mile motorway journey.

2013 1.4 Si

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
Can people confirm whether their MPG is based on miles and fuel used or what the car's computer says? The latter is invariably optimistic (between 5% to 10% in my experience). Based on my records of miles and fuel, I can report:

Mk 2 ES manual : Average 51.7 MPG (48.6 to 55.5 MPG)
Hybrid Jazz HS : Average 58.8 MPG (range 51.9 to 71.2 MPG)
Mk 3 SE CVT : Average 57.7MPG so far (1500 miles)

My motoring predominantly comprises journeys long enough to warm the engine up properly with winter and town driving minimised.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
Current car - 2009 Jazz 1.4 EX 43mpg
Previous car - 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid 45mpg
Mixed driving

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
I merely noted the speedo reading when filled up and then at my next fill, divided fuel by distance and got 44mpg.  That is very mixed driving, in a country area but also includes a fortnightly thrash down the A30 approximately 105 miles round trip depending which route I take.
The sad thing is now HM government has allowed HGV's to travel at higher speed it means often in order to overtake, 80mph is the order of the day. Before the purists tell me what a naughty boy I am, I object to sitting behind a gurt big 44 tonner chucking back stones, mud and those lovely carcinogenic fumes. That's without the latest trick of one trying to pass another with exactly the same top speed. Two trips back one of these luvlies took over 2 miles to pass the other. You can imagine the tail back that caused.
Where was plod? probably drinking tea somewhere.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
I get just a tad under 41 mpg. This is based on brim to brim and not the computer and over the last 20 months. I use fuelly.com and divide my type of motoring up into City and Highway but using Urban for City and Extra Urban for highway. My motoring divvies up as 65% Urban and 35% Extra Urban.

The highest mpg yet achieved is just under 49 mpg and that included about 90% extra urban. As for the claimed combined - never got closer than that.

I am a reasonably careful driver avoiding harsh acceleration and braking.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
My Jazz 1.4es nearly 3 years old and 16k miles on the clock- average mpg from new is 54.8 on the computer. I did once do it the proper way by topping up tank and checking how many litres needed/miles travelled at next fill up, and it roughly corresponded to what the computer said, so I decided to get a life and use the computer. Even if the computer is optimistic as several members have said ,its not a bad fuel consumption for all my driving since new- a 10% optimistic computer still shows nearly 50 mpg, that's good enough for me. I try to avoid short journeys ( by using a bike), don't commute, and tend to stick to any speed limits. Driving to Portsmouth on mainly dual carriageways, about 110 miles can show up to 60mpg on that there computer, depending on how many road works with 50mph limits I have to drive through. 

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
Keep them coming guys I love seeing MPG obsessed, clinical stuff ;D.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »
and it roughly corresponded to what the computer said, so I decided to get a life and use the computer.

I found that the smoother your driving the nearer the computer is to real mpg.  Computer uses injector open times to calculate MPG and takes a snapshot every so many seconds to come up with average readout (the mpg readout responds to changes in driving much more quickly after you zero the trip display because it is averaging fuel used over a small number of miles,  as the mileage on the trip increase the updating gets more and more sluggish, until after 100 miles mpg average readout barely changes at all whether you floor the throttle or drive carefully).

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090929_gas-mileage-displays-in-cars-accurate-or-optimistic

That's definitely a Honda IMA dash in the above clip,  looks a lot like the Civic one with floating display and MPH reading just under the windscreen lower edge.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:35:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
I guess the other way is to just use the computer and knock 10% off that. In my case it is usually about 10% out.

I'm too OCD to do that though!

guest5185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »
I'd agree that trip computer is about 10% optimistic.

Economy tends to reduce in the winter, not sure if it's due to electrics such as lights and heater rear window?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »
Probably the biggest user of fuel in the winter is the colder temperatures and therefore longer warm up times when the engine runs richer for longer.

Vic.

Tags:

anything