Author Topic: K+N air Filter and Hamp Vs OEM Parts  (Read 6496 times)

guest806

K+N air Filter and Hamp Vs OEM Parts
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
Has any one used a K+N Air filter, are they any good? Do they really never need replacing?
On the other topics, general concensus of opinion is to use genuine Honda parts, especially the oil filter.  Would HAMP (Honda Aftermarket Parts) or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) be fine and if so what is better HAMP or OEM?
 ???

Bob3356

• Approved Member
Re: K+N air Filter and Hamp Vs OEM Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
Hi there,
I assume you mean a K & N AIR filter...?
Put one in couple of months back, just a little induction noise, but seems to rev better.
I intend cleaning the filter as recommended in the instructions.
A good bit of kit with it's million mile warranty !

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »
Cheers, i have corrected the post to Air filter.

Was it a direct replacement or did it require fitting?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I don't think your gonna benefit a great deal from a K&N filter on a Jazz. A vtec engine yes with its high revving nature, but on a jazz engine kinda wasted.

OEM parts are of course fine but quality aftermarket ones are just as good

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Air filters have two main requirements and that is to flow adequate air and filter it. Any OEM filter (generally paper) can provide enough air for an engine if it is big enough. However with packaging requirements in modern cars many filters may not be big enough and cause a restriction.

You also have to consider airflow when the filter is new and clean and also when dirty. The air flow of paper filters drops dramatically when the filter is dirty.

K&N air filters are excellent. The air flow is very high for the size and the filtration very good. Also the flow hardly drops when the filter is dirty. They can also be cleaned very easily under cold water and then reoiled. In other words they will last for a long long time.

I have used K&N air filters for over 20 years and will not use any other aftermarket filter. I have based my opinions on the work of David Vizard, who is a very experienced engine tuner and author of many books and articles.

There is one other consideration though....... if you fit an air filter that lets more air into the engine then this in theory is a good thing. However only if the tuning (as in mixture and ignition) is optimised for this higher airflow. I am not sure how the fueling is determined on a Jazz.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Cheers John, do you own a Jazz?
I have found this review http://cars.about.com/od/productreviews/fr/ag_knfilter.htm which i think confirms what you have said.  I guess where customers have reported an improved MPG this could just be down to replacing a dirty filter with a new clean one.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:07:20 AM »
I have just bought a Jazz, 51K miles 2003 S. Went for the S as it is lighter and quicker.

Here is a graph of airflows for K&N filters. It is from David Vizards Tuning BL A Series book and relates to Mini air filters. If you wish to know about engine tuning the book is well worth buying. The interesting points are the reduction in airflows when dirty.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bob3356

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »
The filter was a direct replacement... but look at the original, I think that there are two styles / shapes. make sure you choose the right one.  Bob.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Bob,
 What type do you have, the rectangular or square one (two triangles stuck together)?  If its the square one, could you please let me have the K&N part number as though only ones i can find appear to have a corner missing.

Thank you.

Bob3356

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »
Morning,
My filter is the oblong filter with the open square at the end. I bought it for £35 from YBfilters via ebay. Just for the record I originaly enquired at Halfords, they said that they could order it for me but were un sure as to how long it would take.
Hope this helps.     Bob.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
Thanks, I had a look at he K&N web site and YB Filters and i think the one they do for the FIT (PART NUMBER 33-2359) looks like my filter.  I'm just waiting for confirmation.

Thanks.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
Came across this while trying to find out how to clean the K&N Air Filters.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=66 ??? :-\

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
I have just bought a K&N for mine from YB filters via Ebay. Excellent service. I have the rectangular filter with the open end K&N part number 33-2917.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
I decided against buying one as it appeared everyone i tried quoted for your type of filter, not mine which is squarish. I have at last sourced a replacement paper filter now.

Tags:

anything