Author Topic: Front parking sensors  (Read 2865 times)

guest5079

Front parking sensors
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
At last I have managed to complete the fitting of front parking sensors. I know there are those that think they are unnecessary but after an incident years ago in a supermarket carpark I know my Wife liked them on our old Rover. It took a while as I did the job in stages. Firstly the bumper had to come off ( one day)then to gain access to a bulkhead grommet had to take the 'cowl' off ( another day). After much cussing managed to get the wiring through what seems to be a double skinned grommet set down behind the air intake/ air monitoring housing , only to come out inside the car behind the heater ( another day). Eventually, after finding a 5 amp take off managed to get the brains under the central console. Because I went for the can bus that gave me automatic selection above 6 mph, I needed to access the wiring behind the OBD 11 socket I decided not to cut into the wiring loom but purchased an OBD 11 plug, which meant I just plugged it in. Access to the OBD 11 socket is still available by just unplugging the canbus plug. Made sure there were no cross connections, soldered the required wires into the respective terminals of the plug. Well came the day, at last, switched it all on only to find zilch. Then remembered that the handbrake has to be off. Yes, it all works. Now was it worth the effort? Yes it was but thinking back, it was a lot of work mainly because of restricted access but now I can creep up to the wall/fence of a parking space without leaving the back end sticking out because of trying to judge where the front bumper of the Jazz was AND without fear of damaging Honda' :'(s expensive plastic. The job was made easier by those Club Jazz members who helped with information regarding the cowl and the position of the grommet to pass the wires from the engine bay through into the cabin, so although it is back a while I thank you for your help. The job was slightly complicated as the makers Dolphin, advised keeping the wiring away from the fuses and the battery. However, I can know see why Honda charge so much to do the job and that's without the can bus, just an on off switch.  Was it difficult? NO just a lot of back breaking work, which would have been easier with access to a lift. Although it appears to have taken many days, it was a case of a couple of hours each time. Had I a nice warm garage, it would have all been done well within a day.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Front parking sensors
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »
Well done.
Personally I wouldn't of been brave enough to attempt it and I would have called these guys who did my rear sensors, http://www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/?gclid=CMKAoojg9sUCFeLKtAodBnkAhg

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
Did you have to remove the cowl to find the grommet then. I have been looking for this for ages but have not found where to get wired into the cabin yet

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
I am trying to remember but I think I did remove the cowl.  I believe it is possible to access the 'cabin' from under the O/S/F wheel arch after removing the liner. Giving access to the fuse box. I discovered this after I did the job.
My sensors are speed sensitive and I was told not to route the cables behind the battery as there could be interference. I did remove the bumper but afterwards realised I could have just removed the grill.
The sensors had quite a bit of cable and so I routed them behind the front bumper attached to the beam behind the bumper, along the O/S/F chassis member and then back behind the engine, where I picked up the grommet behind the ECU and pushed the cable through. However with the benefit of hindsight I realise this was not advisable as I could have easily damaged a cable. The wiring came out just behind the heater unit on the passenger side. Bit fiddly. They operate only going forward at I believe under 5 mph. The gizmo that control this was more expensive than the sensors but works very well. It had to be connected to TWO cables on the OBD 2 circuit so I bought a male plug off Ebay. Isolated all of the pins and just connected the two needed. This plugs into the OBD 2 socket and if that is needed, it is just a case of unplugging my conversion. Only problem with that is every time I have had the car serviced the mechanic unplug it to see what it is for despite me leaving a note asking they do not  I can tell they have because they never get it right when they put it back.
Hope this is helpful BUT I would advise NOT going through the grommet that I did as it could have been costly. 

Tags: