Author Topic: The iShift again.  (Read 18973 times)

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
Re: The iShift again.
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
Well - I put the car pointing both up hill and then down hill. The hand brake on first notch will not hold the vehicle at a 'stop' at idle revs. It will roll down hill.

This observation suggests that at idle with the hand brake engaged at notch 1 - the clutch is either fully disengaged or sufficiently disengaged as to be ineffectual on a less than 2% slope. The hand brake wire is not over stretched.

Remove the hand brake and the car moved in the selected gear direction, against the effects of gravity.

I was surprised about that to be honest.

Until someone gets a correct and accurate answer out of Honda we can surmise all we want:)

As soon as you drop the hand brake it creeps forward - indicating that the clutch was disengaged until I dropped the hand brake.
Same happens in reverse.
As soon as you increase revs clutch engages with handbrake on.

I think that what this indicates is that at engine idle the handbrake is capable of holding the car stationary even though the clutch is lightly engaged.
As you increase revs the clutch bites more and overcomes the handbrake.
The only way to totally disengage the clutch is to put the car in neutral which exactly the same as the way the CVT operates.

Vic.

guest5079

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
I decided to read the book of words. ie the 400 plus page Honda instruction book;

Not word for word but, it just says pull up in what ever gear you are in. Foot off accelerator and onto brake. Before moving off make sure you are in the correct gear.
It also says DO NOT HOLD THE CAR BY USE OF THE ACCELERATOR.

That's what Mr Honda says

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »
I would say that it is poor practice to stop, at a junction or lights etc., in gear with foot brake. I would suggest that, unless you expect to be held up only momentarily, when you roll to a stop you should apply hand brake and shift into neutral. This will reduce wear on gears, clutch ( as it drags and heats up etc), fuel ( as the dragging clutch causes engine to call for more fuel to keeps revs 'up' ) and stress to normal hydraulic brake system. Also not blinding people behind you with all them 21 Watt brake lights illuminated ( I know they are LED's, but are equivalent to 21Watt ). By the way it is probably wise to 'nip up' your hand brake adjustment so that is capable of holding the Jazz in first gear at tick over speed on first or second notch / click. Remove your centre console around your hand brake, jack up a rear wheel and with a 10 spanner do up the slack until the wheel just starts to bind. Then swap the jack to other rear wheel to compare. maybe take for a little test before you put the console back. Tools are 8mm socket ( cross head  if your strong enough for rea cup holder hidden screw ),  medium blade screwdriver, trim tool ( to remove trim under hand brake lever ) and 10mm spanner.
The car can pull off with hand brake on.
I have had a Jazz EX (1.4) I-shift for 1 week now and am liking the semi automatic. I have giving it new filters and engine and gearbox oil ( MTF 3). Sweet as a nut! As they say.
Just my opinion about waiting in Neutral with handbrake on ( similar to normal motorbikes with sequential gears and clutch ) I hope I don't offend with my tips. If you are not moving put it in Neutral!  :D

applicationcen

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
The car is under a full service arrangement and extended warranty. If anything needs doing it will get done under that contract:) Thanks for the comment.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
The point about testing the clutch action relates to the fact that the ECU monitors engine revs and handbrake position as well as foot brake.

Each of these factors helps it decide whether to engage or disengage the clutch, and when to release the brakes under hill assist.

Tags:

anything