Author Topic: Advice on Snow driving + CVT  (Read 10674 times)

guest4036

Advice on Snow driving + CVT
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
Awaiting first snow since acquiring my 2012 1.4 i-VTEC EX 5-Door cvt.
In manual drive cars I would simply keep low revs and a high gear.
BUT in CVT?  Do I select S mode?  how do I get it to drive off in 2 ?  Do I disconnect traction control and use the paddles on the steering wheel?

Suggestions welcomed ................. ???

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Advice on Snow driving + CVT
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
Disconnect traction control. Use D for normal flat surfaces.

On steep hills use S if there is a lot of snow.

If it's icy, walk. (seriously).. or if uncertain on your feet, don't go anywhere. A&E gets full of people who fall on ice, stick out an arm and break it...and they are not all OAPs.. altho' many are.

guest4830

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
Can you check your manual if it has a section about the sequential shift mode? From the newer 2013 Fit manual, page 170: "If you pull the 'shift up' paddle shifter while stopped or driving at 6 mph (10 km/h) or less, the gear position will be locked in 2nd gear. This makes it easier to pull away on slippery surfaces such as snow covered roads." If I read it correctly, this is while the CVT is in S mode.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
can't speak for Honda CVT, but my wifes Punto CVT was great on ice and snow - as long as you keep a light foot on the accelerator most CVT boxes will keep the car in as high a gear as possible and low engine revs which is just what you want.  Traction control is OK as long as you don't get bogged and need the tyres to move a bit of snow out of the way.  I think Front wheel drive and CVT with the weight well forward (petrol tank under front seats) is best of everything in snow.    Manual Jazz is already one of the best cars on snow - so CVT may be even better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »
Good question, good replies.
I too, await the bad weather with bated breath. Whilst I have driven torque converter autos in bad weather, never a cvt. I think the hybrid will work well (i hope), but I am undecided over the tyres. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
If there is more than 4-8 cms of snow, snow tyres are best. If there is ice, all tyres are useless unless studded!

Buy a set of snow socks instead..

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 03:08:43 PM »
I have used in previous cars and Autosocks. As luck would have it one of them previous cars has the same size Autosock as current Jazz (I have 15" & 16" sets of jazz wheels). The Autosocks are excellent and have getten me home or to a job Many times. While many cars were stuck at the bottom of a hill and a 4WD failed to get very far, I put on the socks onto the front driving wheels in about 3 minutes I was driving up the hill will driving straight around the cars stuck and struggling. Well worth the £50 - £70 depending on size. Autosock in my Jazz are the older 600 and 62. In the Civic 645.
If allowed here is link    http://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/size-guide/?gclid=CICq6aGDlsICFUWWtAod-GIA5g
to determine your tyre sizes correct sock.
They work on ice and snow but limited to 30mph (50kph). So only use on snow or ice , once onto a cleared road, remove. I through them into a freezer type bag to stop the car getting wet. Then at home lob them in the washer on a short economy wash. I used to have chains but they went to car boot a few years ago now.  Sometimes I only needed them to get out of me drive or the village.

guest4036

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
Hi All

Some great suggestions and advice - Not so concerned as I was before posting. :D
I will check the manual for the suggestion as to how to select a higher "gear" before moving off.

Just hoping for a snow free winter. 8)

Peter

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
This topic raises the question as to how you do that in a 'CVT that doesn't have the paddle shifters?
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
Hi All
I will check the manual for the suggestion as to how to select a higher "gear" before moving off.
Peter

My experience of normal CVT without paddle shifters in snow has been very good,  don't worry about selecting a higher gear as the CVT will automatically do that if you keep a light foot on the accelerator while pulling away.  It will only put as much power to the wheels as you are demanding with your right foot on the loud pedal - same as a manual box, you can pull away in 1st gear in snow as long as you are sensitive with the throttle.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything