Author Topic: Battery and Exhaust  (Read 14721 times)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Battery and Exhaust
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
I planning to change both battery and exhaust in the near future with genuine Honda parts.

Has anyone negotiated on Honda's prices?

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Battery and Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
I usually get 10-20% off at my local Honda dealer and free fitting (depending what the item is)

No harm in asking

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Not sure what Honda charge to change the battery. But it's got to be the easiest thing to do (apart from changing the pollen filter).

I bought one from ebay (genuine Honda battery) from a Honda dealership and installed it in about 5-10mins.

Changing the exhaust is dangerous if you don't have a proper ramp, cheapest way to do it is to buy the part and get a local garage to change it for you. I'd be surprised if they charged you more than £20 cash.

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
The battery from honda fitted is £95 according to their website.

The battery on its own is I believe is about £60.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:46:19 PM by JazzyB »

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
I paid £56.49 including delivery for my honda battery. It is identical to the one I replaced.

It's really easy to replace, just need a socket set. But if you're not confident about doing it, then just take it to Honda.

guest4078

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
As said, changing a battery is an ok job, but as with any other work on a car, only if you are confident to do the work. If not confident then Honda fixed price work is good value when you take into account the 'take it back, it's not working, simplicity'. This can be much more difficult or confrontational at a chain/backstreet workshop. Ideally, I think a good local reputable garage is best for that sort of work. But they are not so easy to find now.
However, exhaust is different, Honda parts are very expensive, even after a discount. If it were me, on a 2007 car,  I would buy pattern parts and get said reputable garage to fit, again as said previously. From my experience with the pink peril, If the exhaust doesn't play ball when splitting the sections, you need to be able to get right underneath and have help. Not always easy at home.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »
Trouble is when you compare OEM vs aftermarket exhausts, aftermarket  ones are so thin and only designed to last the warranty period (18 to 24 months).  The way they fix together is not good  either, the original Honda used to have a proper spring loaded ball and socket joint to allow them to move around, aftermarket were simply a bolted flange.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
Just got a quote from Honda for both centre and rear sections fully fitted including associated fittings a grand total of £476 inc.

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:01 AM »
Hi unsure wether I live in the real world or is that an outrageous amount for exhaust or is it about normal?

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
Well pattern parts from a well known supplier work out at less than £80.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
Depends how long you want to keep the car, OEM Honda stuff lasts 10 to 12 years,  aftermarket about 2. 

£476 / 12 = £39     £80 / 2 = 40  so really about the same.    If you can get Bosal or a good aftermarket exhaust (made out of steel that is thicker than tissue paper) you will pay a price between the Quickfits / ATS end of the market and full Honda.

a lot of popular exhaust suppliers won't change the centre pipe on a Jazz because they are scared of breaking the CAT whilst doing it - happened to my wife.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
I have sorted the battery out. I sourced one on ebay for £56.49 compared to Honda who want £75 unfitted.

The exhaust I am still searching all options...........

guest4078

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:47 PM »
Whilst I agree that genuine Honda exhaust parts are good quality, my experience is that expecting them to last 10 - 12 years is a tad optimistic. At the same time, some pattern parts will give a happy 4 - 5 years service. Personally, I would not spend £500 on an exhaust for a 2007 car.
The original joint between centre section and cat is horrible, no wonder the exhaust centres are scared of it! The pattern replacements I fitted to my 2005 were slotted rather than holes, which made more sense.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
Whilst I agree that genuine Honda exhaust parts are good quality, my experience is that expecting them to last 10 - 12 years is a tad optimistic.

My old Civic which I sold to my next door neighbour and is now 12 years old has just passed its MOT last week and still has its original factory fitted exhaust. ;D

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 01:31:13 AM »
My 2004 SE sport has the original exhaust but I changed to a Yuasa battery after 9 years.

Tags: