Author Topic: Headlight haze  (Read 17607 times)

guest3144

Headlight haze
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Has anyone got experience of using 1200 wet and dry then brasso on these old
headlight lenses?
This used to work a treat on Cessna airplane windshields!

Many thanks for reading!
Nige

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlight haze
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
use fenwicks caravan window cleaner cream from Halfords.   Use it with a proper cotton cloth (old shirt or tee shirt etc) - I thought I was being clever using microfibre and didn't seem to be making progress - read the tube label 'use cotton cloth' and it worked 100% quicker.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dustygd3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd3 sport
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
Toothpaste works great too  ;)

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 04:43:08 AM »
You can also use hand cleaner such as swarfega (any soap with bits in) and then glass cleaner.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
T-Cut and then car polish. I just use a frequent application of car polish to keep them crystal clear.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
1200 wet and dry (or finer), rubbing compound then polish. With toothpaste you will be there forever! lol

guest3144

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
Thanks everybody! We used Brasso [the Wadding type] last night, seems it works a treat.
More work later, but cheers for the suggestions.

[we tried the toothpaste, but after a whole tube...our teeth were sparkling but the headlights..er..............]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
Something to think about - even the minimal Northern hemisphere sun we get in most of UK is capable of degrading the tough plastic and paint on your car (and anything else left outdoors) but some people will happily expose vast areas of their skin to much stronger sun while on holidays abroad without even bothering with sun-block cream.  What's the toughest 'polycarbonate / acrylic' or 'human skin' - "there's only on way to find out.................." (as Harry Hill would say!)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
Washing up liquid & sugar works well too,just don`t taste it  :o
LOL
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

guest5562

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
Our headlamps were very very poor... not just a haze but a layer of brown.

I started with 2000 wet & dry (used wet), then 3000 and 5000. Wet and dry needs using in single direction in line with the longest length of the headlamp... circular or cross rubbing can leave marks.

Final finish was with rubbing compound on a polishing mop fitted to the drill.

They look great now.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
One thing to bear in mind when using all these methods to remove the haze etc and that is the surface of the lights has a UV coating that helps stop the hazing etc but once this is worn away the lights may come up looking new it will only be short term as without the coating they will quickly haze over.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 06:19:40 PM »
Found that Fenwicks caravan window cream from Halfords works great - without all the major damage caused by carborundum abrasive paper on the plastic (and as JazzyB says removing the existing UV coating).  Just use a cotton cloth and the cream and a bit of elbow grease - leaves a polished finish and a bit of wax after may stop it happening again too soon.

guest5562

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
>>> it will only be short term as without the coating they will quickly haze over.

I'd never had this plastic haze to deal with until I bought a car with one dreadful lamp just over a year ago. Like our Jazz I've just done the headlamp looked a scrapper, not just a bit hazy, so it got the full wet and dry treatment.

It has taken a year before the lamp had a noticeable bloom start to appear and then a quick compound and rag brought it back to crystal clear. I do use a car polish with claimed UV protection about three times a year so assuming that helps a bit.

I did try just compound on the Jazz lights first but the improvement was only OK... with the full wet and dry treatment and final buffing they sparkle.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
Thanks culzean, used the Fenwicks on my wife's Micra headlights, now clear again !

Gonzo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE Sport
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
Could someone post a link to the specific Fenwicks product used please?

Thanks!

Tags: