Author Topic: What length extension bar to reach rear spark plugs on DSi engine  (Read 4441 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
I'm looking to change the spark plugs on my car later this year.   Can anyone tell me what length of extension bar they used to adequately reach the recessed rear spark plugs as access looks a bit restricted ?

I have a 3/8" socket wrench but I suspect the only 75mm extension bar I possess isn't long enough, so I need to buy a new extension bar as well as a spark plug socket.

Will a 125mm Bahco extension bar do the job or will I need something much longer?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:52:54 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: What length extension bar to reach rear spark plugs on DSi engine
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »
If I remember rightly I used a combination of 6" extension and 3" extension. The 6" extension just clears the top of the cover.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: What length extension bar to reach rear spark plugs on DSi engine
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Tnx JazzyB

I finally got around to changing the plugs on my car one year later....

I was paranoid the spark plug socket would get stuck down the hole, so I bought a cheap '5 piece 3/8 lock extension bar set'.  Made by 'Neilsen Tools' and found on Amazon market place for about 15 quid.  It comes with 3", 5", 6", 8" and 10" lengths.

The combination of a 6" and 3" was indeed perfect for reaching the rear plugs by using the 6" first to reach the plug, and then supplementing it with the 3" when needing to use the ratchet.  I was also using a 1/2" ratchet, with a 1/2" female to 3/8" male adapter, which added another inch to the length.  The longer handle of the larger ratchet helped to give me extra leverage if I encountered any 'tight' spark plugs. 

Despite warming up the engine, I found the first plug I tried to remove unusually very tight.  It transpired the compression washer had stuck to the cylinder head.  The remaining spark plugs were much easier to remove.

I also had a problem with a new thin walled 10/16mm spark plug socket, Sealey AK6557, purchased for the job.  I wasn't pleased when the internal rubber insert detached and remained wrapped around the second new spark plug I had just fitted.  The insert was destroyed through a combination of attempting to refit the coil pack, and subsequently using the socket to remove the plug.  The insert appears to be made from a Very thin walled soft rubber.  I am expecting a free replacement so I will see if the insert is glued in place, otherwise I can envisage this happening again.  Consequently, I cannot recommend this particular spark plug socket, part no. AK6557 v2.

Photo shows: 8x NGK BKR6E-11 originally factory fitted.

Update:  Replacement AK6557 v2 arrived.  The rubber insert pulled out with very little difficulty.  I then reinserted it into the socket and I've not yet been able to pull the insert out.  The insert appears to just grip the tip of the NGK sparkplug, and not the porcelain insulator.  Conclusion is the rubber insert was perhaps not properly fitted at the factory.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:08:09 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Tags: