Author Topic: Snatchy Brakes advice needed  (Read 15071 times)

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
Re: Snatchy Brakes advice needed
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
Hi to everyone been reading about everyones brakes yes I agree they can be a little bit sharp but I have had no trouble adjusting to them ,as with most aspects of driving I work on gently gently method Im not  pretending to be a goody goody or a slow coach but unless something occurs that cant be anticipated  I really cant see a problem, sorry if I upset anyone but ive been driving 56 years and not a mark on my licence or a fine of any description

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
I have noticed sharp brakes on my Jazz, but after driving an assortment of vehicles for 49yrs I have adjusted my driving style to suit the vehicle I drive, plus reading the road ahead of the car in front of you helps as you then are aware of what's happening. Also I was taught to drive in a driving course with a glass nearly full of water placed on the dash and was told to drive without spilling the water, after a while you brake and accelerate smoothly.
Not having a dig at anyone but it can be done with practice, failing that drive with a slipper on the right foot! :P

Dave

Alan

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
I found the same problem when I first got the Jazz however it took me very little time to sort the it out. If you sit too close (which many people do) then you may have the problem so all I did was to move the seat back one notch at a time (don't forget that seat height affects the leg angle) until the problem vanished.
My wife did exactly the same thing and she no longer has the problem either. Just takes a little patience using the trial and error technique.  :D :D

guest3170

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
I've come to realize that giving the calipers a good clean helps a lot. Changed to winter tyres a week ago and the brakes are much less grabby after giving everything a good brush and clean while the wheels were off. I can't think of a clear reason why this would be so, but it's been my experience both back in the spring and now in the winter.

springyboy

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
I too think Jazz brakes are snatchy, you do get used to it if you drive only a Jazz, but when you also drive other cars the snatchiness remains noticeable in comparison. Have you considered that perhaps the front/rear brake balance is incorrect and that most of the work is being done by the front brakes. This might give the feeling of the brakes grabbing as soon as they are applied, try applying the handbrake on the move and then braking, if the brakes feel smoother it would indicate that when the rear brakes actually do some of the work it  gives a better feel to the overall braking. I've noticed rear disks corroded on Jazz's, maybe due to poor quality steel, sticky calipers or just very light usage that never really puts the rear disks under much pressure, however the bigger front disks, carrying more of the cars weight will remain clean and eventually you can get effective front brakes and less effective rear brakes. Don't really know why Honda think the Jazz needs rear disks, wonder why other similar size cars stick with simple and effective drums at the rear.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
Don't really know why Honda think the Jazz needs rear disks, wonder why other similar size cars stick with simple and effective drums at the rear.

Much better to have drums on the rear,  but unfashionable in todays market with see-through alloy wheels.  Drums much better for handbrake and perfectly adequate braking force available,  and they last a lot longer can never remember having to replace a brake drum,  and only normally replace shoes after 100K+.

My wifes GD has gone through 3 sets of front pads and a set of front discs -  rear drums never been looked at (because they just keep on working fine) :D

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
 Possibly getting to the stage now where rear discs may be as cheap to fit because of common production volume.
   The rear discs end up seizing and discs rust out because they see only 25% braking.  They also seize on the sliders and pads stick with rust.   Remember that manufacturer don't assemble with anti-seize everywhere like a good mechanic would.  I reverse car down steep drive and cadence brake to try keep rear discs working.

I would check that the discs and brakes are working to Honda spec. Pads should be able to move slightly in their fitting space and greased on the ends and main contact areas (copper grease) Sliders should be free and easy. No warping on discs by brutal wheel tightening.

I have no idea if silcone brake fluid would help as a last resort for you. I have found in other cars that it gives a more spongy pedal.  Consider your warranty and Honda compatibility before embarking on that one though.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 12:33:09 AM »
I thought I would never get used to my snatchy brakes... and now I don't need to get used to them anymore!
Two weeks ago I was at the dealer to have my 15" winter tyres (complete wheels) changed for the 16" summer set.
Being at the dealer I (again) mentioned the snatchy brakes and when all four wheels are off anyway... :?:

A little more than one hour later I drove home with my wife, four winter wheels and a big  :D

Our Jazz has now normal, not "snatchy" brakes, so it can be fixed. Tell your dealer!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
Only got my Jazz yesterday & already got used to the brakes.
Got it instead of a 2.0 TDCI Ford C-Max,the jazz is much easier to drive as the brakes on the max were ok,but nothing special.
My wife drove the jazz today for the first time & found the brakes very sharp.after 15mins drive about she was getting a good feel for them.
Even on the test drive I found they were sharp at first but just compensated with a little less pressure on the pedal.

Now I don`t have any problems at all.

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
I have just read in a motorbike forum that the rust from discs that gets embedded in the pad surface can make brakes snatchy and hard to control.  I have noticed this on my wifes Jazz now it does not get used every day and light rust gets onto the discs.

Anyway the Jazz is a light car with pretty good brakes so the brake to weight ratio is good. 

I use Honda pads on our cars and never noticed snatchy brakes when car was used daily,  wonder if the OEM pads are more suited to car than aftermarket ones.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 03:40:27 PM »
I have just read in a motorbike forum that the rust from discs that gets embedded in the pad surface can make brakes snatchy and hard to control.  I have noticed this on my wifes Jazz now it does not get used every day and light rust gets onto the discs.

Anyway the Jazz is a light car with pretty good brakes so the brake to weight ratio is good. 

I use Honda pads on our cars and never noticed snatchy brakes when car was used daily,  wonder if the OEM pads are more suited to car than aftermarket ones.

I changed front and rear pads to Brembo as the rear pads were shot and the fronts not much better. I greased all the slides and contact points and  cleared all the rust from the lips . A much more pleasant braking experience resulted.. mainly I suspect as all mating joints were devoid of any  lubrication...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »

I changed front and rear pads to Brembo as the rear pads were shot and the fronts not much better. I greased all the slides and contact points and  cleared all the rust from the lips . A much more pleasant braking experience resulted.. mainly I suspect as all mating joints were devoid of any  lubrication...

Been using this TRW brake grease on slide pins and seals for quite a few years,  slide pins get done at least every time new pads get fitted and sometimes more often (depends if I am at a loose end), maybe that is why my wifes Jazz brakes are fine and only seem a bit sharp when discs get a bit of rust on them sometimes. 

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/XZS120GB.pdf

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
Possibly coincidence BUT when I bough the Jazz despite it having full service history, I found that the brake fluid which is recommended to be changed at 3yrs, had not been done. The car was 4 yrs old when I bought it and after a word with the dealer, the fluid was changed FOC at a year and four months late. It seemed to calm the snatching brake problem down. Now that I am used to the brakes, the snatching is no more.
As I say, it may be coincidence but given that brake fluid is hygroscopic? and the previous owner lived on the Lizard where humidity would be high, perhaps the take up of water was greater. I know not.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Our Jazz is three years old, and still has snatchy brakes,very poor  from Honda.

Plasma.

Tags:

anything