Author Topic: jazz battery remove & replace  (Read 8370 times)

guest2916

jazz battery remove & replace
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »
HI Guys sorry for the daft question but is there anything i should know before i remove and change the battery if there was a procedure ect thanks frank

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: jazz battery remove & replace
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »
there are plenty of scare stories around about dangers of replacing batteries,  that you will need to 're-teach' the ECU if you take battery off,  that your electric power steering will go wrong etc. You are far more likely to have problem with battery code and your electric windows may lose their 'auto' setting (but is easy to re-teach, look in your handbook).  Leave one or more car doors open during battery change in case central locking locks you out.

best way I have found is to make sure replacement battery same post positions and size as the old one (Japanese cars have smaller diameter posts and they can be opposite position to European cars), make sure it is fully charged and the terminals are clean (use non-metallic scourer pad (green type if you have it).  Take the negative (grounded to car body ) terminal off first and replace it last (just in case you touch your spanner down to car body while working on positive terminal (which will make a big spark).  Use Vaseline or proper electrical terminal compound to coat the terminals and prevent corrosion (especially positive terminal) do not use normal grease as it is an insulator.  Try to fit negative (final connection) firmly in place in one go,  do not dab it on and off the terminal as this may cause problems because power to car equipment is jumping up and down.

I have replaced plenty of batteries without any ensuing problems, the ECU may have its 'user' memory reset to base parameters when power is removed, and car may drive differently  for a little while, but after a couple of days driving it will build up your profile again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:44:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
The other option would be to connect a 12V power to the cigarette lighter socket whilst the key is in the ignition and turned to position 1 (radio on) and after change the battery.

I`ll use my CTEK charger (mxs 5.0) with cigarette lighter socket adapter to do that.
http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/Comfort%20Connect%20Cig%20Plug

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Cheers guys

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
http://smartercharger.com/faq/#application4

be wary of using a battery charger to supply vehicle electronics, especially when the battery is being disconnected because the 'no-load' voltage of battery chargers can be over 16 volts and can damage the electronics.  Without the car battery in place to absorb voltage spikes from the charger, you may put more voltage on electronics than they are designed for.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1232

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »
Just make sure it has the same terminals and change it within 10 minutes, no need to worry too much, most on-board systems have a capacitive memory anyway.

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tags: