Author Topic: my car is bad on fuel!!!!!  (Read 13467 times)

guest806

Re: my car is bad on fuel!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »
Tim F,  how did you discover the erg valve was at fault?  My best results to date on a round trip to Lowestoft and back from Kent is 45 mpg.  I was hoping to get this up to 50+

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve problems show up at lower revs (when the valve should be shut but is probably stuck open) - the EGR opens at higher revs anyway to allow some exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold and cool the combustion to reduces emmisions.  If you car is running roughly at tickover and lacks low down power suspect EGR.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest928

• Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »
Hi JazzE,
The fault showed up as an orange management warning light and it failed the mot. Honda as is normal wanted nearly £100, but a local mechanic had the correct diagnostic equipment. His unit detected the fault and he removed the egr valve and cleaned it but the light came on about 300 miles later. I have cleaned it myself but I think it now needs replacing.

Tags: