Author Topic: Honda jazz valve clearances  (Read 8828 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Honda jazz valve clearances
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »
Does anyone know why Honda insist on a 'valve clearance check' every 25K at a cost of £350 ?

I have had Honda cars before, with more highly tunes VTEC engines, and using the same adjustment method on the tappets as the Jazz, and they never needed adjusting.

The last one did 180K and I know the valve clearances were never checked.

Is this a con by Honda to get work for their service department (given the reliability and build quality of Honda they must always be scratching for work).

I have read lots of other forums and people say that the dirt on the cylinder head cover bolts was not even disturbed after this £350 check was supposedly carried out at Honda dealers, one forum even had a Honda technician saying he never knew them needing adjustment ------!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Honda jazz valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
Honda sent me a letter in early 2005 to tell me that my 53-reg Jaz would from now on need it's valve clearance checked every 25k irrespective of age (until then Honda policy was to check clearance at the 2nd, 4th, etc, service and *not* on miles), to bring it in line with the 2004 & 2005 models thanks to improvements in servicing procedures.

Honda suggest the valve clearance check is to ensure the best performance and economy and was due to the compact design of the engine.

2006-on cars don't need it checked until 62k miles.

Personally myself, if my Jazz was due for a service but just short of 25k miles, I would have the valve clearance checked then - if of course you prefer to have it checked! I see no point in having the car serviced only to bring it in a couple of months later for a valve check!

guest523

Re: Honda jazz valve clearances
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
has any one not bothered with the valve check and carried on driving did any massive disaster occur. or are we being worried for nothing my dealer just sort of always skirts the issue.

Tags: