Author Topic: 2012MY EX Space Saver size?  (Read 16741 times)

Aitcho

2012MY EX Space Saver size?
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
I would be interested to hear from any owners of a 2012 EX model Jazz who has had a dealer fitted Space Saver.

The EX comes with 16" alloy wheels although the Space Saver fitted in my vehicle is a 15".
(Dunlop Space Miser Mark III T135/80 D15).

Various dealers are advertising Space Savers for years 2009 to 2012 in 15" (Part no: 06421-TF0-E00) and 16" (Part no: 06421-TF0-E10). My dealer has placed an order twice for a Space Saver using the part number for a 16" wheel and on each occasion has received a 15" wheel!

Honda are now claiming that for 2012 models they are only doing a 15" Space Saver to cover all Jazz models, I have done a quick check on Lings and they are still listing the 15" and 16" Space Savers.

So if you have a dealer fitted Space Saver I would appreciate it if you could advise what size it is.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:55:25 PM by Aitcho »

Alan

• Topic Starter
Re: 2012MY EX Space Saver size?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:23 PM »
My spacesaver is also a 15" which is now the one that is supplied. The important aspect is the rolling diameter of the tyred wheel rather than the rim diameter. I have checking the rolling diameters and believe it or not it does work out correctly. Nothing to worry about.  :) :)

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »
Unfortunately ive a GD so my 14" space saver but I wouldnt worry about having a 15" space saver...as long as you keep 16" on the front 2 wheels everything will be ok

Means in the case of a flat front tyre take off one of the rear wheels, put the space saver on the rear wheel then replace the flat front one with the one you just took off the rear. This may seem like a pain but realistically it should take less than 5 minutes to do. (even less with practice using the jack since its awkward compaired to every other I've used on my parents cars)

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
My spacesaver is also a 15" which is now the one that is supplied. The important aspect is the rolling diameter of the tyred wheel rather than the rim diameter. I have checking the rolling diameters and believe it or not it does work out correctly. Nothing to worry about.  :) :)

I am intrigued why dealers are listing Spacesavers specifically for 15" wheels and 16" wheels if Honda only supply a 15" Spacesaver. (Possibly it might only apply to 2012 models)

For example Lings quote the following prices:

15" Spacesaver: Part no: 06421-TF0-E00   Price: £163-13
16" Spacesaver: Part no: 06421-TF0-E10   Price: £176-45

I can understand Honda adopting a policy of only using a 15" Spacesaver for both 15" and 16" wheels
as the 'overall tyre diameters' fall within the recommended +/- 2.5% maximum difference in diameters.

As you mentioned the rolling diameter of the 15" Spacesaver tyre is pretty close to the diameter of the 16" tyres:

16" Wheel
185/55 R16 83H      (Overall tyre diameter: 23.15"   -   588mm)
135/80 R15            (    "       "       "        : 23.50"   -   597mm)

Difference in diameter of Spacesaver +9mm  (+1.53%)

15" Wheel
175/65 R15 84T      (Overall tyre diameter: 23.96"   -   609mm)
135/80 R15            (    "       "       "        : 23.50"   -   597mm)

Difference in diameter of Spacesaver -12mm  (-1.97%)

I had intended using a full size spare tyre/rim combination in a 15" size (which would be speed restriced to 50mph) for use with summer tyres (16") and winter tyres (15") until my lease company informed me that I could not use winter tyres although they would allow me to purchase and have fitted a genuine Honda temporary tyre kit which I have now done.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »
Unfortunately ive a GD so my 14" space saver but I wouldnt worry about having a 15" space saver...as long as you keep 16" on the front 2 wheels everything will be ok

As Alan mentioned in his post it would appear that the 15" Spacesaver is now the one that Honda recommend for use with the 16" wheels, my dealer also contacted Honda and they confirmed that the 15" Spacesaver is the correct one to use.

As a disabled driver I doubt if I would be physically capable of changing tyres, must make sure I have a passenger with me otherwise it is a call out for the RAC!  :)

I have now seen a number of cars with Spacesavers replacing a front wheel although like yourself I think I'd prefer it on the rear.

My only concern with a Spacesaver is using one whilst on a motorway as you are restricted to a maximum of 50mph which could be frustrating especially for following wagon drivers!

A sign company is hopefully going to make some magnetic 'restricted speed' signs for me which can be attached to the rear of the car when the Spacesaver is fitted and will indicate to following drivers that the car is restricted to 50mph which would be an indication that they might be better overtaking me, rather than tailgating!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:17:32 PM by Aitcho »

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Don't have any qualms about putting a space-saver on the front; it will be absolutely fine. You might be interested to read the following, which I posted a few weeks ago.

--------------------------------

"My recently-acquired 2010 EX (16" alloys) didn't come with a spare wheel and so, like many others, I decided that I'd like to have one rather than rely on the can of gunk. There's a lot of information on the subject on this forum, some of which I was a bit sceptical about, so I thought I'd share my experiences, in case it helps.

My overriding principle is that I don't give Honda a penny more than I have to, so I bought, on eBay, a 16" space-saver wheel and tyre from a Mk.5 Astra, which arrived this morning. It appears to be in brand new condition and cost £28.05, including carriage. For those who are interested in such details, the tyre size is 115/70 R 16 92M, and the overall diameter is 22.3", compared with 24" for the car's normal wheels.

I found that it fitted onto my car perfectly, using the normal wheel nuts, and I've just finished giving it a thorough test, both on the front and back of the car. I took it up to about 45 mph and I can report that it functioned perfectly, with no handling, steering, braking, vibration or other issues whatsoever, and no illumination of ABS / VSA warning lights. Perhaps a tiny bit more road noise than usual, but that's to be expected.

It fits beautifully into the well in the boot (after removing the polystyrene insert), and is held down very securely using a bolt I found in my garage and a metal jam jar lid with a hole drilled in the centre. (I had to make a small hole in the carpet for the bolt.) Total outlay: sod all. There is plenty of room in and around the spare for jump-leads, warning triangles, gloves, inspection lamps, umbrellas etc.

I reckon I've saved myself at least £170, and have the additional satisfaction of having given the extortionists at Honda not a penny!"

-------------------------------

By the way, I think punctures are much rarer these days (better tires, better roads). I've only had one in the last 10 years. Finally, I love your magnetic sign idea, though I seriously doubt whether it will make the slightest difference to the behaviour of the average bone-headed lorry driver.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »

I reckon I've saved myself at least £170, and have the additional satisfaction of having given the extortionists at Honda not a penny!"

-------------------------------

By the way, I think punctures are much rarer these days (better tires, better roads). I've only had one in the last 10 years. Finally, I love your magnetic sign idea, though I seriously doubt whether it will make the slightest difference to the behaviour of the average bone-headed lorry driver.

Thanks caseyjones for reminding me off your detailed posting of your experience with your Spacesaver. I particularly remember the price your paid for your Spacesaver compared with the price of a genuine Honda Spacesaver, I was miffed then and still am at what it cost me.!  ;D

The majority of professional lorry drivers I have encountered are fine it is just the cowboys that are the problem, not even sure whether the cowboys would understand the magnetic signs.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

I am intrigued why dealers are listing Spacesavers specifically for 15" wheels and 16" wheels if Honda only supply a 15" Spacesaver. (Possibly it might only apply to 2012 models)

For example Lings quote the following prices:

15" Spacesaver: Part no: 06421-TF0-E00   Price: £163-13
16" Spacesaver: Part no: 06421-TF0-E10   Price: £176-45

It could simply be that they list both sizes as asking customers to order using the 15" part number would confuse them if they had a model with 16" wheels fitted.  The price difference isn't unusual for car parts - you often get differenent prices for left and right versions of things, for example.

I suppose the other possibility is the packaging that goes in the boot might be different - one being designed to carry, in the event of a puncture, the wider wheel/tyre fitted on the 16" wheel.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »
So if you have a dealer fitted Space Saver I would appreciate it if you could advise what size it is.

I've just (today) had a Space Saver kit fitted for my Jazz with 16" wheels. Part number quoted on invoice was for 16" wheels 06421-TF0-E10. Checked the tyre and it's a Dunlop T135/80D15. List price £176.45.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
It could simply be that they list both sizes as asking customers to order using the 15" part number would confuse them if they had a model with 16" wheels fitted.  The price difference isn't unusual for car parts - you often get differenent prices for left and right versions of things, for example.

I was informed that the only difference in the 15" Space Saver for fitment to cars using 15" or 16" wheels was a different sticker!

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
I've just (today) had a Space Saver kit fitted for my Jazz with 16" wheels. Part number quoted on invoice was for 16" wheels 06421-TF0-E10. Checked the tyre and it's a Dunlop T135/80D15. List price £176.45.

That is the same size as I was supplied with by my local dealer, also asked if they could quote us a better price than the Honda list so they gave me a discount.  :)

guest3250

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
I was lucky - the previous owner of mine had bought a spacesaver- I was concerned about not having a spare.
With the limited choice, too , on the 16 inch front - meant it ight be harder to get runflats.
One thing - there is no Jack - I have had to stuff a Halfords Jack under one of the back seats which is Ok - but not ideal - nowhere else to squeeze it in that I can see...

guest2839

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
I found my jack under the black plastic cover that runs at the back of the boot,I just pulled it up and there it was.
don

guest3250

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »
I found my jack under the black plastic cover that runs at the back of the boot,I just pulled it up and there it was.
don
Would you believe it!!  I have looked and looked - it is so well hidden!

Just popped out in the dark (evening)- I have the poly spare wheel inset in the way which I have to lift out
(complete with tools and stuff I have stored in there) - but there it is! - tucked into the rear of the car, behind the edge of the carpet
Now I have removed the Poly insert I am wondering how neccesary that actually is - because I could use the inside of the wheel for some storage of tool like stuff (rope, jump leads...) if I removed it.
Thanks for the heads up on the JACK though   8)
(Now I have to double check there is a wheel brace somewhere!)

guest2839

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
Geoff ,my wheel brace was in a small canvass bag in the wheel well,glad you found the jack
Don

Tags: