Author Topic: How is the spare wheel secured in boot?  (Read 37530 times)

Aitcho

Re: How is the spare wheel secured in boot?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »

Bolt Washer 8x20
93405-08020-08    £1.13

The washer can be used to hold a full size wheel, or a spacesaver, and its kind of double sided.

The Bolt Washer 8x20 is not the correct part it should be 'Plate, Anchor Bolt' 83850-SD2-000
priced at £6-53.

It is very confusing trying to source some of these Honda part numbers on the web!

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest1262

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
My Honda dealer supplied and fitted spare wheel is held by the wing nut threaded thingy arrangement. Above it sits a tough black polystyrene-type molding which should hold the wheel in place laterally in the event of impact, provides storage nooks and crannies and supports the folding boot floor.
All in all a very sensible arrangement which was, in my opinion, well worth the expenditure (£143.17 + VAT).

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
We travel a 1000 mile round trip as a family and have organised ourselves so we have some chance to be both neat AND safe.  Several car-boot sale trips and searches in local charity shops secured six small cases which fit pricecly across the boot space like books in a bookcase [except that they lie spine-hoizontally rather than vertically]. Coats and blankets etcetra are put on top. One case is used for the whole family for any overnight needs and another is used for electronic stuff and overflow.  Cost very little; and half of the kids stuff does not fall out when I go for the Thermos secured in a bit of sewer-pipe riveted on the corner of the the wheel arch inside the boot.  It works for us and we can find most things on the journey.   JD

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

Talking about risks - I vote that all mobile phones and other devices that distract drivers from looking at the road and thinking about what's happening around them should be firmly bolted under the rear floor of the car, preferably under the spare wheel.  The biggest risk today isn't a spare wheel not bolted down - its the muppets that think they have superhuman powers and can hold a phone conversation / text and drive at the same time - and  I don't have any choice over whether to share the road with them.

Haha this would be a good idea for those with "superhuman powers" but for myself personally..id rather not have to get out my car, open the boot and take the spare tyre out to answer an important call, after finding a place to park.... or when i stop at my house. My phone does sit out of sight, along with my inhalers. Easily to get when the car is stopped.... :)

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
After reading the posting byGeofffc describing the fitment of his space saver by his dealer I decided to 'bite the bullet' and invest in one!

Phoned my dealer Chester Honda on Wednesday and as they did not have one in stock one was ordered for delivery on Thursday to be fitted.

Originally I thought that they just fitted the space saver into the wheel well and that was that, I was surprised that the existing boot floor etc was removed and replaced.

Visited the dealer on Thursday afternoon and on arrival the car was immediately taken into the service bay for work to commence and reappeared shortly after ready for me to take a leisurely drive home via Delamere Forest on a lovely sunny day.

Have attached some pictures:-

1) Shows what items had to be removed from the boot.

2) Space saver fitted in the boot.

3) Polystyrene cover fitted over the space saver.

4) The new replacement boot floor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
Several car-boot sale trips and searches in local charity shops secured six small cases which fit pricecly across the boot space like books in a bookcase [except that they lie spine-hoizontally rather than vertically].  JD

That seems to be a neat idea, I remember reading in the past about some prestige car manufacturers offering tailored luggage systems for fitting in the boot of their cars.

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
I ignored my overinflated Honda dealership price of £150 odd and got a secondhand (but unused) spacesaver with leather cover from a breakers yard for £50 delivered. I then put this into the wheel shaped indent in my boot. It fits snugly and doesn't jiggle around so have not bothered trying to secure it down any further.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »

That's like saying that everything in the car has to bolted down. What about luggage?

I do know a sales rep who was clouted on the back of his head by his brief-case and he was never the same again!

Tags: