Author Topic: GD M/T vs CVT  (Read 3244 times)

guest1809

GD M/T vs CVT
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
Dear all,

As already mentioned in one of my previous posts, I've been driving a ’05 Honda Jazz 1.4 MT for a year now. It has done 121000 km (I bought it with 100k km). It has done a great job, very reliable and practical BUT now I have an opportunity to buy a GD ’06 1.4 CVT with 35000km on it. So my question to you is, since I have never drove a car with  A/T, if I would buy it, what would be the positive and negative aspects compared to my current car.

Will it be a lot slower, will the MPG go up a lot, does this CVT transmission requires more maintenance than the M/T and is it reliable. How will the overall ride be influenced by this CVT and will it do less RPM when driving 120kph (72mph).

Thank you in advance for your reaction

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: GD M/T vs CVT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
I have owned a CVT Jazz for several years and driven the manual versions.
I would say there are no disadvantages to owning a CVT version.
The fuel consumption is about the same,it requires no more maintenance,is no less reliable and the ride isn't affected because the suspension is the same.
The CVT has slightly higher overall gearing to the manual,the mph/1000 revs in 'top' gear is about 25 for the CVT.
One thing I would mention is the effect you get when you floor the accelerator.Because of the way the transmission works ,the gearbox changes down and the revs go up to about to 5500 with an increase in engine noise.It is meant to do this and the car accelerates and the speed catches up with the revs.
To improve the acceleration, for overtaking for instance,use the 'S' mode then shift back to 'D' when you have passed.The Jazz is quite nippy when driven in this way.
The 7 speed option and the paddle change option are pointless gimmicks in a Jazz,in my opinion.

Vic.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
 :D

HI
    In my opinion I would rather keep my manual jazz rather than the CVT.  Higher mileage jazz does not affect its performance and economy Hondas are known for these, they do last longer than any other car.  When it goes to practicality manual jazz are indeed COULD BE EASY TO BE SERVICED AND DIY,D. Then if you have a chance to get a lower mileage cvt jazz then grab it the market value of a lower mileage car is always greater than a high one.

guest1809

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
Dear all, thank you for your reply. I‘ve made a test drive with this 1.4 cvt jazz this weekend and I decided not to buy it. Why? Well, as I already said it, I have never drove a car with A/T before and this being my first time it felt very “artificial” and during this test drive  I didn’t have the feeling that I completely control the car. I know that all this has to do with the fact that I lack experience of driving an A/T so I will stick with my manual jazz for now  :) However thank you once again for your replies.

Tags: