Author Topic: Faulty Honda Jazz Door Locks  (Read 36442 times)

guest2879

Faulty Honda Jazz Door Locks
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
I have a 52 reg Jazz 1.4  i-DSi S, the basic model with central locking but NO remote locking.

About 2 years ago, my driver's side door lock stopped working. It happened so suddenly, I thought it had been superglued!

Having got a dealer quote for replacement, I started using the passenger door to open the car and a few months later, that one packed in too.

I started using the tailgate lock to activate the central locking, and ordered a replacement driver's side lock so I had another option when the tailgate went. Unfortunately, the tailgate went before I replaced the driver's door lock, but I was able to get into the car to change it.

There's a retaining circlip under the lock which is an absolute beast to remove. After struggling for a day I discovered that the way to do it is to push a big flat bladed screwdriver up beside the circlip and twist. It dropped straight off.

I took the lock apart to find the first tumbler worn away by the key entry. The tumbler material is far too soft to last the life of the car, when operated by a key rather than a remote fob.

On 5th November, the new driver's door lock failed. It has lasted less than 17 weeks!

The new lock had been dodgy from the start. Sometimes the old key would work, sometimes not. At one point, the new key wouldn't work and I had to use the old one.

There's another thread about this problem, and it seems the solution is to get the barrels replaced by a locksmith rather than Honda. I certainly can't afford to keep replacing locks when they are as poorly made as this.

I bought the Jazz because of Honda's legendary reliability. The gearbox failed 6 months outside warranty and Honda wouldn't touch it. Now I've had 4 locks fail.

The door locks seem to be Honda's Achilles heel, judging by the forum posts and, as the problem is now at least 9 years old, it is high time that Honda got their act together and sorted it!

Although I love the Jazz as a car, I have lost all faith in the maker and will avoid Hondas in future. For the want of a nail, the kingdom was lost.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: Faulty Honda Jazz Door Locks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
I have the same problem with the driver side lock. Last year I took the first tumbler out and fitted back with the remaining ones. It is failing again so I`m thinking I`ll take all the tumblers out and use the lock without it.
Anyway, how much is Honda quotes for the lock?

guest3798

• Topic Starter
Re: Faulty Honda Jazz Door Locks drivers side
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
If the lock is faulty IE barrel worn does the whole lock have to be renewed and then configured to fit the existing key. What is the best way to set about this. One lock from Honda costs a fortune. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Many thanks. Bruce Milburn

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
I must have repeated this answer a dozen times.  ALL car door locks give trouble sooner or later.  I have a locksmiths shop and they repair or refurbish 30 car door or boot locks a week

A locksmith can get you a new barrel (often a Chinese equivalent) and key it in to your existing key set.  The alternative is to swop over the passenger and driver's door locks.

Only the barrel (the piece you put the key into) needs replacing
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3798

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
Many thanks. Will try car a lock company in Wandsworth, London.  Bruce

guest7345

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
My daughter's 2005 Honda Jazz has had many problems with lock barrels seizing but otherwise the car is excellent. I think I have discovered a permanent solution which is quite cheap and much, much cheaper than a new lock. The answer is to convert the car to remote keyless locking. There are several of these systems on ebay which will work with any car with prices staring from about £20 which includes two remote  fobs. Car locksmiths don't appear to be onto this conversion.

VP

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2007 (56 Reg)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »
I have same problem with my Honda Jazz 2007 (56 Reg). I took it to Locksmith for fitting a remote key and they said that Car isn't receiving signals so remote key solution won't work. Any further suggestions?

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »
Remote unlock can be added to the mk1, I paid £30 for one from ebay then £50 for a local garage to fit it.

Tags: