Author Topic: Tom Tom Sat nav - mounting on a GE air vent?  (Read 8441 times)

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
Tom Tom Sat nav - mounting on a GE air vent?
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
Hi, I've just updated my sat nav - its a new Tom Tom which has a integral sucker rather than slotting into a detachable windscreen mount. I'm finding its a bit of a stretch putting it on/pulling it off the windscreen. Short arms!  ;)

Has anyone tried an air vent mount? I can see some pros being out of the main vision area.
But I'm worried it might either be in the way of the radio display, or damage the air vent plastics?
I've got a 2008-on GE.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Tom Tom Sat nav - mounting on a GE air vent?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Hi. This topic was aired several months ago when I mounted my Garmin satnav in my EX CVT using the supplied ash tray/cup. the attached photo gives an idea of the setup.

The plastic disc supplied with the satnav is glued to the open cup top and the sat nav is stuck to that using its sucker mount.

The assembly is the placed in the cup holder in front of the air vent and the cable routed in the gap between the dashboard and steering column, down to the power socket.
I would suggest that this gives a very professional looking setup and looks part of the car.

I agree that mounting the unit on the windscreen is just too far away and of course advertises the fact that there is a satnav on board.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rabiedmushroom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply, but I was thinking of the central air vents rather the one on the far right hand side.

Tenrab

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
I have a mount fixed to the centre air vent which is very successful but of course it was not cheap, but it does what it says on the can. I purchased it for my 2008 EX and have transferred it now to my new 2012 EX without any damage to the car or marking. It does not obscure the radio display and holds my Tom Tom XL perfectly.
The unit was obtained from Brodit and consists of a Proclip & Mount that are both specifically for the Jazz model, year and Tom Tom model.
It is very well made and customised for the Jazz and I would certainly recommend it.

http://www.brodit.com/proclip.html?pn=prod&sm=pc

guest3059

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »
We have used one of those super sticky rubber discs that we have placed above the central air vents. The Tomtom sticks to that each time and is nicely in reach. With the curve of the dash you can only see the disc from outside the car. With the newer style Tomtom integral sucker removing it is easy too. Queensland sun has not unstuck it yet. 8)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
I use one of the heavy mats that sit anywhere on top of the dashboard.
You can position it where you like,they don't slide about and can be hidden from view when not in use,mine goes under the seat and you don't have tell tale rings on the screen.
You can find them on E-Bay and the Telegraph Shop are doing an excellent one right now.

Vic.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
I use a SAT NAV Mat they are really good and not expensive. You can position them where you like as well.
 :D

Tags: