Author Topic: i-SHIFT or CVT-7 for Jazz 2009?  (Read 13726 times)

guest489

i-SHIFT or CVT-7 for Jazz 2009?
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
    I've just downsized from an '03 Stream 2.0 Sport Manual to an '06 Jazz Sport CVT. I couldn't wait for the new Jazz model and, as I do high mileage, I thought I'd run the current Jazz until the new model has been out a few months, then upgrade. But here's the catch ... I instantly love the CVT 'box, and everything about the Jazz, but I'm hearing rumours that the new Jazz
[i.e., the UK/Europe import from China] will use the i-SHIFT system that's in the current Civic.

Now, if you read posts on the Civic site, or talk to drivers of the current Civic, you'll hear very mixed reports of the i-SHIFT. On the paddles, as a manual changer, it's fine, because it is, essentially, a manual box. But in low gears as an 'auto' [without a torque converter] views are mixed. In fact, there are some drivers of early models who described the jerky low gear [1st and 2nd] changes as dangerous. Recent reprogramming has improved thing somewhat, but there's no way it will be as smooth as a CVT box, as it selects discrete manual gears. It's just another of the several low points of the current Civic. There's no doubt that the i-SHIFT box, cheap thought it is, cannot match the driving experience of the twin clutch DSG boxes now being fitted to VW group cars. I think Honda dealers in the UK would be concerned that owners of current Jazz CVT models will be unhappy to switch to the i-SHIFT.

I believe that the new Jazz models available in Japan and SE Asia have CVT 'boxes. So what is going on? ...

Are both CVT and i-SHIFT going to be available in future?
Will the UK/Europe Honda operations, then, have a choice of, or any influence over, whether the new Jazz will come to UK/Europe with CVT or i-SHIFT?
If there is such a choice, and if it's not too late, what influence can be exerted by members of this forum to encourage Honda in UK/Europe to stick with the excellent CVT system?[/list]

Can anybody out there answer these questions ... yet?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: i-SHIFT or CVT-7 for Jazz 2009?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
I've heard nothing about the Jazz getting the I-SHIFT system instead of CVT. ?

I think Honda UK have some degree of influence over what is offered. For example, the current Jazz is offered with a traditional torque converter automatic transmission in North America rather then the CVT option.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:03:02 PM »
Forget the i-shift its nothing like it should be , I have spoken to Civic drivers who regretted falling for the sales patter on thier test drive. Living with the slow and unresponsiveness of the ishift has put them off honda autos

The main rason for these ishift set ups are cost the CVT is more expensive to produce .

I undertsand the Mk3 Jazz in Japan have CVT fitted.

lets wait for the 1st test drivers to report back on EU vehicles

guest489

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:42 AM »
See my reply under oldusers post about Singapore brochure - Jazz 3 has arrived there with a 5 speed Auto box that sounds like i-Shift.

guest494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
The new jazz should come with a similar automatic set up as in the current model
it will still have the option of using the padles to change   (so no i-shift)

(on the subject of the I-shift  people have been complaining about it because they don't or didn't realise it wasn't a full automatic  it is a semi auto box  and since the 2007 models it has improved no end  it id really good fun)

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
After reading about the I-SHIFT in the Civic on the Civinfo forum, I have come to the conclusion that the correct way to pronounce I-SHIFT is with a silent F. ;D

guest494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:25 AM »
After reading about the I-SHIFT in the Civic on the Civinfo forum, I have come to the conclusion that the correct way to pronounce I-SHIFT is with a silent F. ;D

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried on that one.  yes as with quite a few of the current generation of civics there were teething problems with the system  but our 07my car is fantastic ( o.k not as smooth as the full auto in my 07my CR-V) but it is fuel efficient, lower co2 and does what it says on the tin.  It is a semi-automatc gearbox. Plus Honda have refined the gearbox even further for the jazz and for the upcoming facelifted 2009 Civic

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
/\ did they update the software in those early Civic I-SHIFT's (i presume those problems were down to the software)?

PS: Jazz '09 1.4 with I-SHIFT has emissions equal to the manual 1.2 at 120g/km (£35 per year tax).

guest494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
Yes eventually the 06my cars have been updated.

The understanding is that the 2nd generation of i-shift will be fitted in the all new jazz and the facelifted 09my civic

andyfr

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
What are the i-Shifts like when setting off on an incline? How do you know when the clutch will bite?

Andyfr

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
I heard I-SHIFT won't be available until the new year?

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »
I read Toyota offer a new MultiDrive CVT gearbox in their iQ city car and the new Avensis 1.8 and 2.0 petrol models.

Perhaps only a matter of time before it appears in the Yaris and Auris too.

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Tags: