Author Topic: Any benefit in RON 98 fuel on bog standard Jazz 1.2 S ?  (Read 11356 times)

guest1875

Any benefit in RON 98 fuel on bog standard Jazz 1.2 S ?
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
The manual recommends at least RON 95.  Is there any benefit at all in using RON 98 fuel?  This is a bog standard Jazz 1.2 S I'm talking about.  I've read up on the possible benefits of a higher RON on certain types of car, and about knocking and knock sensors etc, so it would be useful to have someone's view as to whether anything greater than RON 95 on the entry level Jazz is just a waste of money.

Thanks!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Any benefit in RON 98 fuel on bog standard Jazz 1.2 S ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
I've only used it occasionly and never noticed any difference based on one fill-up. I did think about filling up with some BP Ultimate last week but I chickened out at £1.39 per litre (10p more than regular unleaded).

When I had a Civic diesel I found it felt smoother after a couple of tankfuls of BP Ultimate diesel but diesels I think are more sensitive to different fuel grades.

Personally I use either BP or Esso regular 95 RON unleaded and only use Sainsbury's if I get a voucher with the shopping or if I really need to fill up.

guest582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
I tried a tankful of the higher octane petrol (Shell I think) in my 1.4 2009 Jazz at about 15000 miles and it did not make any noticeable difference. I normally use Texaco but I have noticed poorer performance with supermarket petrol.

guest986

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
I've always used BP Ultimate Unleaded (97 RON) in my 1.4 Jazz, except on one occasion when I was feeling tight and filled up with 95 RON instead.
Maybe it was partially psychological because I knew I'd used cheaper fuel, but I did notice an increase in knocking ("pinking") when pulling away.

guest1875

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far.  The only practical option for me on a regular basis is Shell, though Waitrose and Sainsbury's are not too far out of my way, and are usually cheaper.  At the moment, Sainsbury's is a full 6p a litre cheaper on the higher octane unleaded.  Is their fuel really likely to be inferior -- is one supplier's consistently better / worse than another?  I guess it could be, but not sure if anyone really tests and compares the quality objectively.

guest1513

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
I used my wifes GD Jazz recently. Noticed it didn't perform willingly. Normally she fills with BP or Shell 97-98 but decided to economise.  I thought the difference was quite noticeable but then I can recognise retarded ignition from when I ran older bikes:)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Supermarket fuel is a no-no for the Jazz !!  my 1.4 GD don't like it at all.

Normal 95 RON BP and Shell are OK for everyday use, but I certainly notice the difference both in performance and better mpg with 97 RON 'V' Power or Ultimate - especially in the summer.

I think the ECU takes a little while to adjust to the 97 but it certainly makes a difference - remember the I-DSi engine is about 11:1 compression ratio and despite the twin plugs and staggered firing I think it still needs a minimum of good brand 95 RON.

Remember it's the additives you are paying for when you get a better fuel, supermarket fuel is noticeably lighter on the additives than the better stuff (additives are the things that modify the octane rating, keep your fuel system clean and lubricate things etc. etc.).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:17:55 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
The i-VTEC of the current models doesn't seem to be too fussy about the grade of fuel. I've used 95, 97 and 99, supermarket and big brand, without noticing much of a difference. (I do tend to avoid filling up at Morrisons, though.)

On the other hand, there are some garages that I will avoid due to having received less good fuel from them. They're not linked to any particular brand. I suspect they don't let the tanks settle before connecting them to the pumps after filling.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
4 weeks ago I thought I should go back to the normal Shell Fuel saver. I had about 8 litres in the tank and filled up with the "normal one" - no difference. Next fill up - after about a quater of the tank fuel has gone I felt the engine became "lasy", I had to push longer the pedal to accelerate on the motorway and at every time when accelerating. Now I went back to the V-power and the car feels "lively" again! I don`t say the fuel consumption has dropped because it doesn`t seems like that but somehow the car is more responsive, feels it has got more torque (?).

guest671

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
I agree with nowster, my 58 reg 1.4 EX is much the same whatever petrol I use. The only exceptions were once I filled up with Shell V power, and the car did seem more responsive and fun to drive. I have also used Tesco Ron 95 and did notice the opposite. So I do try and avoid Tesco.

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »
Jumping in as a GD 1.4 owner, I usually use Shell regular, but deffo notice smoother & quieter running on VPower. Don't get any hesitancy at low revs. No change in MPG though, but I've never run consecutive tanks through. Maybe I will now...

guest1461

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
Not a jazz but I have a 98 civic 1.5 vtec. I will fill up once in a while with the higher octane and although I do not get any more millage out of it I do get better pick up on accelaration. I think it does good to give your car a better meal so to speak every so often. Would not use it all the time though at the price it is.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
my experience with our 1.4 is for normal round town driving, it does not really make any difference.  However, if i am doing a long journey it is worth paying the extra as i do notice better performance and better mpg.  I now fill up for normal driving 3 times on normal and the 4th on vpower just to help the engine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
Over the last week, which has been pretty cold, I used 26 litres to cover 300 miles (and yes, i did top up the tank right up when I refilled it, past the cut-off on the pump and squeezed in as much as I could), this is a real world 53mpg.

I do a 50 mile round trip commute 5 days a week + normal weekend running about and have not been driving particularly carefully as I was running late a couple of times.

This was using normal 95 RON BP in a 1.4 GD.

I will try the same journeys with 'V power ' 97 RON soon and see the difference, In summer I have noticed about a 10% increase in mpg using V power.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything