Author Topic: Jazz is much under-rated!  (Read 12228 times)

guest1521

Jazz is much under-rated!
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
1.2 SE Jazz. Not long returned after 800 miles Christmas travel. 2 'mature' adults plus 2 young adults (of which one is 6'1" and another 6'3''), luggage, Christmas gifts and some additional 'safety kit' including boots and sleeping bags in case of long, freezing road blockages or emergency. The aforementioned long-torsoed and long-legged over 6-footers sat perfectly comfortably for miles in back (and front) seats, too. Cruised at 70-80mph with a 40-minute stop after 3 hours or so.

I'm a bit of a car enthusiast and after 10,000 miles and 12 months of ownership I continue to be mightily impressed at the all-round value, versatility and fun of this amazingly capable and spacious little car. I am increasingly bemused at motoring journalists pigeon-holing it as largely 'a round town car for retired people' with limited capability for the motorway. IMO Jazz has far greater capability and versatility than simply that! Fuel prices going up yet again, tightening family budgets... if ever there was a car for the times, Jazz is it!

Less 'supermini' or 'mini-mpv' - more accurately it should be described as an 'economy family car' IMHO. Perhaps, because of its sheer versatility it defies accurate description and that, in marketing terms, presents a communication challenge. (Why don't Honda rebadge it 'Fit' as they do in some overseas markets including the USA? 'Fit' surely hints at 'capacity' and/or 'lean athletic ability'...)

A number of family members we visited were amazed/bemused/disbelieving at how we could have packed so much into so little space yet also claim that the four of us travelled all that way quite comfortably. Till trying it for themselves, they will never know, I suppose.

Simply a Great Big little car too much overlooked by the market IMO. Deserves to be a future classic.

guest1828

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz is much under-rated!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
Happy New Year!  ;D

Glad to read your positive report, and relieved you weren't caught out in the snow! ;)

I convinced my partner to get the Jazz purely because it's reliability, economical engine, and huge space capacity, and room height!

Do you have an automatic? What MPG are you recording atm?

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
Happy 2011 to you Reedswood... and to all.

My Jazz has probably the very slickest manual change gearbox I have experienced. And a nicely light clutch evenly matched with the weight of the brake pedal. I have read a motoring journalist describing the gear change similarly... and as like a rifle-bolt in feel with its 'snickety precise' action and I'd agree with that.

MPG - I don't track it trip by trip or by fill however over the 'mixed motoring' (about half miles short round town daily runs, other half long motorway trips) life of the car so far (10,000 miles) it is showing 47.8 mpg. Not long after buying the car - on its first long trip - I checked the computer displayed mpg vs actual tank fill to fill. It seemed pretty accurate.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
Not long after buying the car - on its first long trip - I checked the computer displayed mpg vs actual tank fill to fill. It seemed pretty accurate.

Well the trip computer on my GE Jazz isn't that accurate; it over estimates the returned MPG by about 8% to 10%. I think others have reported the same. I don't see why Honda can't make a trip computer that returns reasonably accurate figures. And I guess it's no accident it reads over rather than under. Perhaps they think Honda drivers are gullible.

guest1828

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
well, just to give you an example, I have a Mercedes Benz A170 CDi automatic, and I bought due to it's claim of being economical etc, and on £30 I get 272 miles from that...although Honda is a different set up, never the less, you can see if it gets to that mark...then you're getting an average MPG: 51.52
so, reset MPG meter, fill up with £30 , and if it beats 272 miles, then it's doing fine!

PS. Refill when the refuel light comes on, that way it's a good indicator of where you are!

you can also go to the MPG Calculator here: 

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

guest1262

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Well the trip computer on my GE Jazz isn't that accurate; it over estimates the returned MPG by about 8% to 10%. I think others have reported the same. I don't see why Honda can't make a trip computer that returns reasonably accurate figures. And I guess it's no accident it reads over rather than under. Perhaps they think Honda drivers are gullible.

Does it make sense to suggest that tyre circumference must vary according to tyre pressure? And tyre temperature will increase as you drive - which will in turn increase tyre pressure? And the recorded miles covered are calculated according to the number of wheel revolutions? If so there is no way that trip computer returns can be accurate.

Or have I got it wrong?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
Why don't Honda rebadge it 'Fit' as they do in some overseas markets including the USA? 'Fit' surely hints at 'capacity' and/or 'lean athletic ability'...

Because...

In 2001, Honda intended to release an automobile known as the Fit in Asian markets as the Honda Fitta on the European market. However, in Swedish and Norwegian, fitta is a crude reference to female genitalia, and the vehicle was rebranded Honda Jazz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_blunder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_naming

;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:13:49 PM by RichardA »

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
hehe ... ok but why not Fit then (though i prefere Jazz)

regarding fuel ... my GG3 trip computer is too optimistic for 0,3 l/100 km every time and I don't mind do a little math every time :)
What actually boder me (still!) is the feature "expected mileage with the rest of the tank". Honda -1 for that.

Edit:
... and yes, Jazz 1.2 has the best ratio between value and money
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:22:10 PM by eljuero »
100+1 HP

guest1828

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Fit was deemed too close to Fitta.
hehe ... ok but why not Fit then (though i prefere Jazz)

Fit was deemed as being too close to Fitta:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-honda-didnt-call-fit-jazz-by-its.html

The Jazz name was used before:

Some info here:
http://www.hondaclassiccars.co.uk/jazz.htm

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
Fit... Fitta... hahaha! That would have been a... 'basic' error.

Out of curiosity I will check my 'computed' mpg vs 'actual'.

200 mile trip yesterday... driver + 3 adult passengers, again. I see a few more GEs about - but not that many - and I will continue to wonder why our little Honda is not significantly more popular. As I said in my initial post, what with tightening family budgets and rising fuel prices, this should surely be 'a car for the times' given its proper 4-seater+luggage capacity... its surprising versatility combined with its overall economy and value.

P'raps someone should start a thread 'What do we really like about our GE Jazz?' Perhaps with an overall bar-charted summary, too.

P'raps, too, I should get out more...

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
...Or have I got it wrong?

I manually calculate my MPG based on the trip computers odometer reading between tank refills so the same anomalies caused by tyre circumference will be present in my calculations also. Therefore the difference between the MPG calculations should only be due to the estimation of fuel used.

Although I don't expect the trip computer MPG to be spot on, I expect something better than a 8-10% error. Also eljuero points out that the estimated tank range can't be relied upon and the average vehicle speed reading seems to make no sense as well. If a car has a trip "computer" it should be reasonably accurate.

eljuero

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
If a car has a trip "computer" it should be reasonably accurate.

If honda (with honda I mean Slovenian distributor) would admit that there is some kind of a factory error and that there is nothing that can be done to simply fix it I guess I would except it but ... I attached these pictures in another thread already but anyway here they go again ... (this is reading from the same tank! and there where still gas in the tank for like 60 km) ... so honda -1!

100+1 HP

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
...there is nothing that can be done to simply fix it...

Do you think this error may be due to it being difficult for the car to be able to accurately monitor how much fuel remains in the tank especially if the tank is of a non-uniform shape? Possibly the same reason the fuel gauge appears to work in a non-linear manner, how it tends to drop slowly at first then more rapidly before slowing again when the tank approaches "empty".

eljuero

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
...there is nothing that can be done to simply fix it...

Do you think this error may be due to it being difficult for the car to be able to accurately monitor how much fuel remains in the tank especially if the tank is of a non-uniform shape? Possibly the same reason the fuel gauge appears to work in a non-linear manner, how it tends to drop slowly at first then more rapidly before slowing again when the tank approaches "empty".

Perhaps, I don't know, but when I was asking about it I was told by some Honda main mechanic guy in Slovenia (after I showed him evidence - pictures) that there can be wrong two things, something with nano senzors, the other one i don't remember. He said that they had the same problems with some CR-V but they've fixed it one way or another. Well months later after my several query I got a written answer that there is nothing wrong with my Jazz. This is just Jazz speciality, everything according to some book ... I've given up and I simply use MPG computer readings, adding 0,3l to get real MPG, then devine 42l with it and multiply by 100 to get expected mileage with the tank.
100+1 HP

Tags:

anything