Author Topic: Alloy Wheels  (Read 8829 times)

guest598

Alloy Wheels
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
1400ex.  Just 2 years old and done 16500 miles   Alloy wheels have to be replaced due to slight corrosion.

guest516

• Topic Starter
Re: Alloy Wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
I also run an EX   a feb 09 i-shift :)
same mileage 16500 just had rear brake discs skimmed under warranty ;D didn't know I had a problem
 I only went for second oil change (A service) pollen filter also changed
B service due in 70 days
Thank goodness I took out the 5 year service plan ;D
Another reason for enjoying Jazz motoring 8)
oui-oui

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
I've just had the second annual service (18500 miles) on a 1.4 ES manual and rear disc corrosion was reported.  I was not offered skimming under warranty but I will follow this up.  Why should the rear discs corrode but not the front.  Am I not braking hard enough to keep them clean?

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Rear discs are more likely to corrode than the front because most braking force by far is on the front.  Rear discs tend to corrode when a car is lightly used and/or driven - perhaps for perfectly sensible reasons of economy or anticipatory defensive driving - in such a way as to avoid unnecessary heavy braking .

IMO discs on the rear for an 'everyday' road car are purely for marketing reasons; the market has been 'educated' to believe in their superior braking performance, even on the rear, and they look better through alloys. But I could be wrong... The American market gets Jazz badged as 'Fit' and they get drums on the back - many of them say they'd prefer discs ('rotors'), some even wanting to fit them aftermarket.

Of course, discs offer FAR superior braking performance on the front.

From new, mine have never looked smoothly polished to the same extent as the front - nothing like - though not rusty/corroded they always appear to be dull 'steely grey' with grooves around the circumference. To that extent I took the car to the dealer when it was a few months old, had it checked out and I was assured that braking pressure on the rear discs was to spec. Nonetheless, I remain concerned that my car might suffer premature rear disc corrosion. (I posted in this forum about it.)

What did/do your rear discs look like through the wheel... before skimming?

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
My feelings too about rear discs and another reason why I bought an early S Jazz because it  has drums.

IMO discs on the rear for an 'everyday' road car are purely for marketing reasons; the market has been 'educated' to believe in their superior braking performance, even on the rear, and they look better through alloys. But I could be wrong... The American market gets Jazz badged as 'Fit' and they get drums on the back - many of them say they'd prefer discs ('rotors'), some even wanting to fit them aftermarket.

guest516

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »
Hi IvyTek
Sad to say :( I had been away and honestly hadn't noticed any worrying signs on the discs just circular lines which I didn't realise were raised :-[ I hadn't rubbed my fingers over them !
I was told that this would increase the rate of wear on the pads & that they ( Honda garage) had skimmed discs on a number of cars ( Jazz ??)
Probable cause was salt on roads   ::) They took photos to send to Honda with their claim
Just to Greenacre Honda have looked after & serviced 4 Hondas for me :) :)
Enjoying Jazz moments
oui-oui

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »
The rear brakes do less than 30% of the 'stopping' on a normal car and there is absolutely no need for 'superior' discs on the rear. Under braking the weight of the car shifts forward, which lifts the weight off the rear end and the grip available to the rear tyres is much less than the front. 

Drums are more than adequate for the rear wheels, and are much better as a handbrake, in fact some 'high end' manufacturers fit rear discs for normal braking (and for show) and fit inboard drums for the handbrake.

In my experience rear brake shoe linings should easily last 100K, outlasting the front disc pads by about 3 to 1.

Rear disc brakes are fitted to give the car a sportier look, especially to the 'alloy brigade', and are just another manifestation of 'style over substance' so prevalent today.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:49 PM »
Yup... Because of disc wear with today's non-asbestos pads, premature corrosion of rear discs and inferior handbrake performance I much prefer DRUMS on the rear of 'everyday' road cars. For reasons of heat dissipation/ minimising brake fade and speed of pads replacement, discs on the rear are undoubtedly advantageous for high performance road cars and race cars. Rear drums have never presented a problem on any car I have owned. Whereas rear discs...

And as for alloy wheels through which our discs are on shiny display? Look great when they are clean but are prone to premature corrosion and cracking... at least in my pre-Jazz experience. Discolouration too if not well cleaned regularly. Never had a problem with steel wheels.

Admittedly aesthetics/appearance are a matter of personal taste and priority.

With regard to alloy wheels, I was led to believe you can't have A/C without alloys... and that 'upgrade' from Jazz S to Jazz SE is £1,000 extra. I would have been happy to pay just £500 for the A/C and avoid the alloys...

Did anyone mange to buy a GE Jazz with air conditioning and steel wheels thus perhaps getting the A/C for considerably less than £1000, so to speak? Or was I air conned?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »
I think on the GE Jazz you also must have A/C with alloys.

A/C was a dealer-fit option on the early GD Jazz models but it cost more than the price differential between S and SE models. Incidently, the 2002-04 SE models came with A/C but steel wheels.

guest1232

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »
Gents, having skinned my knuckles and sprained my hands, not to mention embedding black dust into my freezing cold digits for a week, I would rather change a pair of pads on disc than a pair of shoes on a drum any day, last time I did shoes I could have killed my father in law for asking me to do it. I don't see corrosion as a problem on discs as it will wear off in seconds if the pads are applied in anger, also, grooving makes no difference, after all, it's not across the direction of rotation is it?

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
A few years ago, I bought a new Honda Silverwing, the 600cc maxi-scooter. After 18 months both alloy wheels were replaced by the manufacturer due to very bad corrosion. Honda admitted there was a known bad batch.

When I bought my Jazz, bearing in mind my previous Honda wheel hassles, I have kept my 16" 1.4EX alloys in tip-top condition, using a well known good brand of car shampoo and alloy cleaner, and washing regularly. I'll grant you mine has had more services than most (40k miles) and 2 sets of tyres, so the wheels have been taken off/on a few times by competent mechanics.

But I've noticed on the last wash that the alloy is showing signs starting to lift round the little centre caps on 3 of the 4 wheels, which is a bit of a nuisance. I'm worried it'll start looking tatty just when the warranty runs out! I'll keep an eye on it like a hawk. At least from past experience I know Honda will replace alloys under warranty.

Has anyone else noticed similar?

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
My last Jazz, a 1.4 EX, 2009 with nearly 30K miles was starting to suffer small spots of corrosion around the centre caps and isolated (only few) spots between the spokes, affecting front wheels worse. I also kept the wheels clean with bucket and sponge and non acidic alloy cleaner. Was going to ask the dealer to inspect on the next service but it got written off in a bad accident.

Previous Jazz (GD) models I have had also had isolated corrosion spots, mainly around the centre caps but the cars are changed after 2 years. I'll check my current Jazz closely in the future.

I've noticed the Honda wheel manufacturer logo?? like an upside down 'm' is the same on my wife's Hyundai alloy wheels...if they are the same manufacturer I'll be keeping a closer eye as we intend to keep this car for at least 5 years.

guest598

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
My 1400 Ex 2years old last Nov 17000 miles had to have all four wheels replaced.
  I complained to the dealer they replaced them with no question's asked.
   They must have had a problem.

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
An update - at my last service (1.4 EX about 45k miles / 2 years old) I asked my local Honda dealers to inspect all my alloys due to signs of corrosion, especially near the wheel centre caps. They took photos and sent off to HQ.

I've just had a phonecall; a brand new set is waiting for me. No fuss, no quibble, wonderful. I'm getting them fitted next week, hurrah!  :D

So if your own GE alloys are showing signs of surface grot, get them checked out under warranty. If nothing else, it gives Honda feedback about quality control.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
Doubt it will happen but if you get to keep the original alloys, let me know as I'm after a set  :D

Tags:

anything