Author Topic: Write off!  (Read 1142 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Write off!
« on: June 19, 2023, 07:19:35 PM »
My beloved 2010 i-shift ES with 80k and 2 owners (mum and daughter) has been rear ended by some xxxxer, they have admitted fault and after sending pictures we have received an offer of 4k, this does seem reasonably, but everyone seems to tell me don't accept first offer!!

What do you guys think??

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Write off!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 07:32:35 PM »
Look at sites like Autotrader for comparison, before you accept.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 07:37:21 PM »
Maybe ask

Webuyanycar.com

for valuation but be honest in describing car.

Good luck.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 09:21:50 PM »
Yes, tried webuyanycar, motorway and carwow, all offering less, on a nothing wrong quote.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 09:44:41 AM »
Sounds reasonable. I paid slightly more than that for my, similar, EX with just over 50k miles and full history/two owners, about 10 months ago.

Not sure of current market but no loss in asking if they can improve. The bottom line is what will it cost to replace like-for-like (even if you have no intention of doing that).

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
Accepted the offer, but a bit peeved off as I have a nearly full tank!! Seen a few past comments and a few YouTube videos, so no chance of syphoning it off, and removing pump between front seats too much like hard work.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 09:47:16 PM »
Know how you feel and sympathise. Recently sold my VW Golf (thanks to the Mayor of London's expanding ULEZ) with half a tank of fuel but the effort of syphoning from modern cars is so time-consuming, even at current price/litre, is not really worth doing as the days of just sticking a tube down the filler neck are long gone.

Think that you probably made the right decision in accepting the offer as any negotiation could possibly take time and only result in a small increase in payout versus a great deal of effort and the delay in getting things finalised.

Do you intend to replace with similar model?

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 05:55:06 PM »
Managed to get 25ltrs out through the top of the tank accessed between the front seats under the plastic cover, quite easy. Been looking at a Golf 1.5 TSI Evo SE Nav Auto, I hated the Auto in the I-shift and always used the paddles and loved it, however wife wouldn't drive it on the paddles (don't ask me why) so might be a car with a duel clutch job next.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 07:36:04 AM »
There is another option to consider in some cases  .   If you know your car is in other respects a 'goodun'  it might be worth keeping and getting the repairs done privately.   Some insurers allow you to 'buy' the salvage rights and keep the car . If the offer price is insultingly low  it could also mean you can 'buy'  the salvage rights to your own car at a bargain price.    The car will have an insurance write off category marker which will affect its subsequent resale value,  but this becomes less important as the car gets older.

Some older cars are   written off as beyond economic repair   for really quite minor things such as broken light fittings, a crumpled wing etc ,dented door etc  which could be repaired at much lower cost in a small bodyshop, maybe using some used parts etc.       Many folk make a good income  repairing such damaged repairables.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:45:56 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything