Author Topic: Firm Ride  (Read 14108 times)

Bobby Cadwell

Firm Ride
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »
My 55reg Sport is improved over my 52 reg SE Sport, but its still firm. Not harsh or anything but not as smooth as the Polo. But then a Polo is no-where as fun to drive or such a pleasure to own.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:45:26 PM by RichardA »

kazick

• Topic Starter
Re: Honda Jazz Ride
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:11:12 PM »
Our roads here are terrible.

My Jazz is one of the early models with the unmodified suspension, I did find the ride on my to be harsher than some other cars and it did put me off, but I like so much else about the car that I purchased the jazz anyway.

I must point out my Jazz is a 2002 SE with 14? steel wheels and taller tyres.

hiraz

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
My 2007 SE rides firmly but never uncomfortable, but it can get thrown around by bumps.

My wife’s 2001 Ford Mondeo rides a lot better, but my Jazz rides much better than my previous car, a 2001 Chrysler Neon R/T.

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »
My old P-reg Rover 200 had softer damping but actually had a shorter wheelbase so it didnt ride as well.

My second Jazz, a 56-reg 2006 with 15? alloys rides better than my previous 2002 Jazz riding on 14? steels.

Tyres and suspenison tuning make a big difference. I owned and modified a string of Citroen AX’s before wife and child appeared, the standard AX’s have a magficant ride for such a short car and decent handling too, but modifing the suspension on the GT models can hash the ride big time…although the handling ended up pin-sharp.

monkeybot

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
I own the Jazz SE Sport with the factory-spec 15? wheels, mine’s one of the early Jazz’s (51-reg, Feb. 2002) and the ride is firm but you only notice it if you jump straight from something like a VW Polo or last gen Civic. :)

When I was due for some new tyres I swtiched from the factory-fit Bridgestones to some Continental’s, much quieter and slighly softer compound.

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search ... 855515CT2H

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
Does the Continental Premium Contact offer a softer ride? In another thread elsewhere in this forum, someone has suggested Michelin Energy (EA3?) offer a better ride?

Can anyone else share their experiences of other makes of tyres running on 15? wheels?

I’ve taken delivery of a new 57 plate Jazz 1.4SE auto (made in China according to the VIN). The engine and CVT are superb, but the firm ride is truely awful on any less than perfect road surface when driving around town. The ride seems a bit jittery/fidgety but the issue is even the smallest road imperfection appear to be transmitted throughout the entire car and can be felt through the seat and steering wheel. It seems to be better at higher speeds, but I’ve not yet done any long distance motorway runs.

I would gladly sacrifice handling for softer Polo like ride. My previous car was a 98 Civic Aerodeck VTi and I’ve driven 2004 Civic, neither of which are as bad as my new Jazz.

I’m guess when Honda UK offered 15? alloys as standard on 2005 model 1.4SE, they effectively were bringing the handling and fimer ride characteristics from the Sports model through to the lesser model eventhough there was no changes to the suspension.

I read that perhaps the 15? wheels and Bridgestone tyres are too blame. Changing to 14? rims and different tyres allegedly makes a significant improvement.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/tires.htm

The Jazz 1.2S is shod with 14? steel wheels and correct me if I’m wrong, early 1.4S/SE were also fitted with 14? steel wheels. Can any owners of these cars share their views?
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »
Although I have never driven a Jazz with 15? wheels and cannot therefore make a direct comparison, my 07 1.2S with 14? wheels and Yokohama tyres does not seem to have any of the problems that you are experiencing. It does seem that the smaller wheels and different tyres may make quite a difference. I think it would be well worth test driving a Jazz with 14? wheels to clarify matters in your own mind

Hope this helps

Nigel

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
1.I have owned Jazz with 15? wheels since 2002 - I reckon the wheel is not the issue the tyre profile is, the Bridgestone tyres supplied by the factory are going to give a harsh ride on British roads - in Japan the gov’t provides good road surfaces.
You can over come this harshness to some extent by fitting Michelin Energy tyres 185 x 55 speed rating H. These have been fittted to one of our Jazz vehicles and the ride is noticelably improved.

2.The webiste http://www.hondafitjazz.com/ring.htm

also includes a minor mod - using O rings apparently works just as well.

3.Most tyre pressure gauges are inaccurate so purchasing aquality guage & checking your presssures does pay dividends see http://www.international-tool.co.uk/

Regards

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
Would you know if that was the Michelin Energy ‘E3A’ tyres and how recently were they fitted?

There seems to be quite a few variants of the ‘Energy’ tyre over the years. There is the E3A and I think there is now an E3B on sale too.

Which Jazz was it fitted to if you don’t mind me asking? 2002, or a later model?

I will check/adjust the tyre pressures over next few days and report back.

Tyres aside, does anyone know if the 1.2 has a different (softer?) suspension set up too?

b

guest206

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:17:11 PM »
I’m used to driving a Focus ST170
My Jazz ‘05 SE with 15? alloys is plush by comparison!

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 07:02:11 PM »
Before changing the wheel and tyre size it would be a good idea to check the effect on the overall “gearing”of the car and its effect on fuel consumption etc.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 07:55:12 PM »
We have a 53 reg (late 2003) Jazz SE of 14? wheels with Yokohama tyres. It’s supposed to have had the mods that were done soon after Jazz launch but the ride is extremely firm & jittery - there’s just no compliance in the ride at all.
I drove a newer SE recently on 15? alloys and thought it rode much better than ours.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:11:12 PM »
The Jazz is the Mk2 ie 2005 model SE, the tyres are the Michelin Energy
185/55/15 82 H

Tyre pressure off the Michelin site 32 Front 30 Rear

Costco had an offer on recently and we replaced all 4 tyres at 29k miles.

guest278

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 08:11:12 AM »
Hi all ,this is my 1st post on this site. I have just bought a 2003 SE CVT with 14? steel wheels (not sure of the tyres). Compared to my previous car (Mercedes A160) the ride if brilliant. I really wanted a Sport but can see very little diffrence apart

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:45:12 PM »
[quote:3vjkfand]“The Jazz is the Mk2 ie 2005 model SE, the tyres are the Michelin Energy
185/55/15 82 H[/quote]

Tyre pressure off the Michelin site 32 Front 30 Rear

Costco had an offer on recently and we replaced all 4 tyres at 29k miles.”

Thanks for info. I visited Costco and they were selling Michelin Energy tyres for about £58.60 fully fitted at the moment.

I’ve checked (using a variety of gauges) and adjusted the tyre pressures to the minimum values (32 front, 30 rear) but it hasn’t made much improvement.

I’ve also noticed the factory fitted Bridgestone RE040 are very noisey. Are the Michelins any quieter?

Tags: