Author Topic: CVT strange noise  (Read 4046 times)

kokola

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz Mk2 1.4 CVT
CVT strange noise
« on: March 10, 2022, 08:02:54 PM »
Hello!

For the last 2 weeks I experience an unusual noise from my Honda's CVT - the sound is similar to that produced when you roll an empty laundry machine seeking for any socks that might be left inside. Humming, buzzing, more rachet-like. It picks up the frequence when accelerating and decelerating, it does not occur when in N or P, regardless of throttle. It gets preety intensive in L.
I visited 2 certified Honda services and both say it might be bearings inside CVT pulleys or even the CVT's oil pump bearing/chain. They've lifted the car, tested it (I was present the whole time) and confirmed it's the CVT producing the racheting noise. Their advice was, since they had never came across with a broken CVT and would cost a fortune to repair/replace it, to ignore the noise and keep on driving: it should not fail me. I need a reliable car and these noises don't make me comfortable.
The car runs smoothly, CVT's oil is clear with enough amount, no steel debris, dust or anything. It was changed a year ago, doing 13.000 km so far. The car has totaly 131kkm on clock with regular prescribed maintenance done at Honda certified shops.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar with their CVT? Is there anything more that I can do?

Thank you!

Shahid1973

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 Automatic Sport
Re: CVT strange noise
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 09:45:59 PM »
I have exactly the same problem on my Honda 1.4 2012 CVT. I have been told the same and I thought I needed to do a repair or get a second hand automatic gear box. What have you done to date?

kokola

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz Mk2 1.4 CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
Hi, I haven't done anything, the sound persists, has gotten a bit louder but otherwise the car is running smoothly. CVT oil is being replaced every 25 kkm and always comes out clean, no debris.

I read on some Russian forums that the thing that produces the sound is in fact
CVT's primary pulley bearing gone bad. The buzzing sound eventually becomes very loud, the thing falls apart completely and thus destroys the gearbox. They do service them back there but in my region (Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria) nobody would do such an operation nor has the knowledge to do it.
I will change the complete gearbox when the time is due (could be another 100 kkm in best case scenario).

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 02:14:12 PM »
<i also had the same problem with 2012 jazz 150.000 km, had to get a new jazz in 2017
a new gearbox is very costly

Tags:

anything