Author Topic: My Jazz is shuddering/vibrating when pulling away  (Read 54787 times)

guest1421

My Jazz is shuddering/vibrating when pulling away
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
I've got a Honda Jazz, which has done about 35k miles in 5 years. It's an automatic and I think it's the 1.4 SE version. I'm not sure how long it has been doing this for, however when pulling away from stationary in traffic for example, the car tends to audibly vibrate/shudder for a few seconds.

I'm just very concerned something may be seriously wrong and I'll be quoted a grand or something to fix it, something I simply cannot afford.

I did find another thread  about a problematic Honda Jazz, and one person mentioned that it vibrating may be something to do with the engine mount, whatever that is. I've also read things about the CVT fluid possibly needing flushing. Bear in mind I know next to nothing about cars!

Any ideas?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)

guest1178

• Topic Starter
Re: My Jazz is shuddering/vibrating when pulling away
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:47:59 AM »
hi my 2007 jazz did the same  i put up with it till the transmission service was due at 80,000 there was a 100% improvement, the honda dealer seemed to think it was normal i also complained about the gearbox at 2000 k,s it was very sluggish taking off from a standing start and a bit scary at roundabouts. I suggest you get the transmission serviced, i will service mine more often than the service manual says, overall i,m happy with the honda and i havent had any other problems over the 3 years and 90000 k,s i,ve had it

guest1411

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:54:04 PM »
I had the same problem and it is much better after a CVT gearbox oil flush. Much recommended!

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »
Hello all,

I’ve had a July 2004 CVT Jazz from new, it’s always been serviced correctly and driven with mechanical sympathy. In March 2008 it developed the judder. Armed with knowledge from the internet I approached a local Honda dealer. They gave me the run-around in true pompous Honda style, eventually claiming the ‘extended’ CVT service warranty didn’t apply to my vehicle.  I then tried the supplying dealer, they were not very helpful ‘cause I’d not had it serviced by them for the last two years (another story) but they did agree there was a known problem with the CVT boxes and they were prepared to look at my vehicle for a fee, (£20), and if it was found to be faulty they’d press Honda for the repair. It was indeed found to be faulty but they now insisted that before any repair could be requested from Honda I’d have to have a gearbox ‘flush’ at my expense, £80.

Well the ‘flush’ seemed to work and I’ve been happy for the last 16,000 miles, however, the judder is back!

Anyone else had a recurrence, what was the reaction from the dealer/Honda?

I’m knarked that our vehicle has been blighted by this problem inasmuch as we only bought the car because a friend had bought one in February 04 and we were impressed. That vehicle has done more miles than ours and shows no sign of the problem. Further, following our purchase, 2 more friends also bought Jazz’s in 04 & 05, neither of them has shown any hint of the problem!

guest1494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
Hi we have a 2003 Jazz automatic (25000 miles, second car)  which has been fully serviced by the Honda garage we purchased the car from (may 2003).
In the last few days we have noticed similar problems in that it judders (perhaps more of a rumble) when we pull away from stand still just before the gear changes from first to second (as indicated on dash).
There is no deterioration in the performance.
The car was serviced in May and I have checked the transmission oil and it is at the correct level and looks new and is golden brown in colour.
I will contact the garage tomorrow to see what they recommend.
It does not occur at any other time, infact if the car is rolling it does not happen.
I have tried driving round on full lock (both ways) and there are no knocks.
My own view is that it is something to do with the software that controls the transmission because it is not engine speed related.

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
Let us know how you get on at the dealer as May 2003 puts it outside the 7 year extended gearbox warranty.

Your symptoms are classic CVT clutch judder, almost certain. Not software.

I've recently had the CVT oil changed for a second time due to the same problem and all currently seems well.

I'm not sure what the ultimate outcome of ignoring the judder would be, anyone?

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »
I have checked the transmission oil and it is at the correct level and looks new and is golden brown in colour.

Recheck when the transmission oil was last changed.

The newer specification CVT gearbox oil is more pink/purple in colour, used from 2006/7 onwards.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:57:58 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
Hi
Just spoken to the service manager at local garage (where we purchased the jazz) and he admitted that there was a known problem with oil seals in the G/B which if it is that problem then the work is done under good will by Honda. Car booked in for first week in August for investigation.

I have just checked back through the service records and I do not think the transmission oil has been changed. On sheet from garage is states the the oil is changed every 75K or eight years and we have reached neither.

Will let you know the out come of the investigation.

Now off to Devon for a week.

regards
JohnT

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:12 PM »

On sheet from garage is states the the oil is changed every 75K or eight years and we have reached neither.

Every 75k miles or 8 years is for the manual transmission.

The CVT auto is I believe every 5 years for your 2003 model car. Someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm exact interval.

I'd have to concur with Berisford's diagnostic that your car is probably suffering from classic CVT startup clutch judder problem.  Replacing the CVT transmission fluid will probably resolve it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:15:52 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1461

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
This Juddering from the gearbox on pull away is covered by extended warrenty for 7years in total.
If it is the first you have had this then honda dealers should be doing a cvt flush under warrenty (if within the 7year period). If the judder comes back then the gearbox needs stripping and the clutch starter pack will need to be replaced again under warrenty if within the 7year period.
It seems to me that people are being charged for a flush when they should not be.

Tags: