Author Topic: Mix use of tyres in a used car just bought  (Read 4134 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Mix use of tyres in a used car just bought
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »
A couple of years on the shelf is absolutely fine. IIRC the guideline is 5yrs max for a "new" tyre, though I'd hope that any relatively common size would be turned over in a shorter time than that.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Just wondering where they obtained the tyres, did the phone up some breakers yard or S/H tyre outlet?
Also please check the manufacture date of each tyre the date is   imprinted on the sidewall of each tyre, , the date is in the format week year eg 3607 is week 36 of 2007
Just Checked the date, two front pirelli 2120, Michelin 0819, Arrowspeed 4219. All should be new tyres.

Good news that all four tyres are well  within their service life window, my local tyre fitter tells me modern tyres just do not last as tyres of say 20 years ago, sidewalls crack split and perish inexplicably, it may be the composition of the rubber, the high silica content, has changed to meet demands for rolling resistance reducing  the service life of a tyre,  the two Pirelli tyres are "as good as new",  the only issue for me is the Arrowspeed budget tyre vs the other 3 premium brands, Is it worth relegating the Arrowspeed to the role of spare tyre?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2021, 04:23:45 AM »
The tyres on my Civic have been there since new in Mar 2013 and have a late 2012 manufacture date.and are still fine. Depending on where you look the expected lifespan is 6 to 10 years so I've been keeping a close eye on them, especially the sidewalls.

I've also read that parking out of the sun helps as well.

Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 04:28:56 PM »
Tyre rubber definitely hardens up as they age. I change some of my bike tyres by age rather than wear (I have a fleet of bikes so not much use on any one of them!!  ;D  ), and old tyres are noticeably harder/stiffer when fitting than nice new ones, even using the same spec tyre.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
Tyre rubber definitely hardens up as they age. I change some of my bike tyres by age rather than wear (I have a fleet of bikes so not much use on any one of them!!  ;D  ), and old tyres are noticeably harder/stiffer when fitting than nice new ones, even using the same spec tyre.

Don't you love digging thumbnail into lovely soft fresh motorbike tyre rubber, I had a pair of Avon Storm 3D X-M fitted earlier this year, dual compound,  the centre of tyre deffo a bit harder then the shoulders,  shoulders have that sticky feel that gives you confidence. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2021, 12:54:16 AM »
Don't you love digging thumbnail into lovely soft fresh motorbike tyre rubber, ...
:D
I think for motorcyclists it's like that Billy Connolly thing about putting a man in a room with a tea cosy, it's just something which cannot be resisted.  :P

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »
the only issue for me is the Arrowspeed budget tyre vs the other 3 premium brands, Is it worth relegating the Arrowspeed to the role of spare tyre?

Not a bad idea at all, of course depending on the presence of a full size spare.

In my experience, many of the cheap Chinese tyres do not age well, but seem to fare better hidden in the boot away from the UV. On the car, they perish and crack quicker than many - watch out particularly for cracks in the root of the groove treads around the tyre... particularly nasty. Modern tyres have a very thin cover of rubber over the steel plies, and they can soon be exposed.

I wouldn't recommend them for low mileage drivers, you end up swapping them with plenty of tread left, especially on the back if you don't rotate. Avon/Cooper tyres (same factory) also seem a bit duff in this respect, I've swapped a couple of Avons for cracking, and the 4 brand new Coopers that the other half's Jazz was shod with when purchased are already showing signs of age.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2021, 12:08:52 PM »
I'm running Kumhos on the rear and an Avon and Nexen on the front and have had no issues. Ideally I'd have put Kumhos on the front but Blackcircles wasn't so accomdating on price and fitting appointment, so the Avons came from Halfords. One of the Avons started to perish and the other is started to go the same way, hence the Nexen.

However, I'd expect a dealer to replace with matching brands. Is this branch of Evans Halshaw a Honda dealer? They usually only stock the OEM-fitted brand (so with a Mk1 it was Bridgestone or Yokohama...not sure what OEM brands are fitted to later models).

Why move this here? It is a 16 plate Mk3 we are discussing.

The topic was reported as being in the wrong forum.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2021, 07:29:24 PM »
They usually only stock the OEM-fitted brand
When I got two tyres from my local dealer they fitted Riken tyres.

yahanma

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
Is this branch of Evans Halshaw a Honda dealer?
It is Evans Halshaw Renault, not a Honda dealer.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 02:51:57 PM »
They usually only stock the OEM-fitted brand
When I got two tyres from my local dealer they fitted Riken tyres.

Our mk2 came from a local Honda dealer, they fitted 4 new Cooper tyres.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2021, 04:34:19 PM »
Dealers probably don't see many mk1s (and mk2s?) like they used to, so probably order tyres in when needed. A decade ago a Honda dealer was very keen to try and sell me a pair of Bridgestones potenzas (in stock) at £90 a corner. (They still had 4mm of tread left).

Cooper looks like a branded tyre judging by their website, never heard of them mind.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2021, 06:00:07 PM »
Funny you mention that.

I had Trident try to sell me 2 budget tyres back in 2015 saying my front tyres were almost out. When I got home I checked the depths in 4 places, all grooves and they were nowhere near out.

My Civic is still on the same tyres it came with and all tyres still reported as plenty of tread by a different dealer.
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Dealers probably don't see many mk1s (and mk2s?) like they used to, so probably order tyres in when needed.

This was a few years ago, the car purchased was only 3 years old at the time.

If you've never heard of Cooper, Avon Tyres are the same company, and tyres made in the same factory.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
I find Avon tyres to be pretty grippy ( after years of driving on Michelin ES and ES+ maybe that should not come as a surprise ) and to be very good at holding pressure,  I check our tyres pretty often, even if it is just to press the sidewall with thumb, but use a gauge maybe once a month ( but am convinced that I lose more air by checking the pressure than the tyres lose naturally ).  After 6 months in our garage over winter the Avons ( summer tyres ) only lose a couple of PSI at most.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: