Author Topic: Hard Wiring Dashcam and the A pillar side curtain airbags  (Read 2497 times)

Chris_Music

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
Hard Wiring Dashcam and the A pillar side curtain airbags
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
Hi Guys

I'm wondering if someone can help.

I recently purchased a 2015 Honda Jazz Si (GE) to replace my 2006 Jazz Sport, and wanted to hard wire my Dashcam into the new car. In the old Jazz, I ran the wire through the A pillar trunking. But in the new Jazz, it has a side curtain airbag there, where the old Jazz didn't.

Is it ok to pry it off the A pillar in the same way I would've done on the older Jazz?
Or is there a risk of setting the airbag off?

I might be being stupid and paranoid, but I thought I would ask before attempting it!

Also, if anyone knows which fuse I need to plug the hardwire kit (nextbase) into, that would also be amazing!!

Thanks in advance!

Chris
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:57:03 AM by Chris_Music »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Hard Wiring Dashcam and the A pillar side curtain airbags
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
Hi

I guess it depends where you position the camera but I did not remove the trim  instead I pulled the black rubber trim (sorry not a mechanic and no idea what it is called) from around the door seal.

This allows easy access to route wires and I fitted our cameras (we have 2), to the left just below the rear view mirror, so the wipers clean the screen and they have full clear view outward of the windscreen. So I ran the wire from the fuse box, inside the dash to the drivers side and up to the roof lining, then along the roof lining to the mirror. You can easy push the wire at the top edge of the a pillar so it is fully hidden.

I bought the next base fitting kit, so was easy to wire. Just think I needed one of the fuse piggy back wire (or it came with it, sorry cannot remember) and I would need to look up the fuse number so it comes on when car ignition turns to first position. I think though, it was a 10A fuse

If I have time I will look for the fuse number or perhaps someone knows and post

Many thanks

John

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
Hi,
I've literally just fitted a new nextbase 312gw in my 2011 jazz to replace a cheapo Chinese version. Fitting the wiring was simply a case of prodding the cable under the rubber trim, if you look in the Honda Handbook it will tell you what the fuses do and there location. I used the nextbase hardwire kit, (much cheaper on ebay for a genuine kit) and found the Honda fuses won't fit in the piggy back adapter due to having a plastic sleeve, you need to get some normal mini fuses. I plugged into the fuse for the rear offside window as it was easy to get at. Getting the piggy back into the fuse box is fiddly. I emailed nextbase about updating the software but you are better off looking at YouTube,
Chris

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »
Thank you for the replies! I will have a go and see if I can just pry it back and run the cable along, rather than removing it.
I should be receiving the Jazz Car Manual in the post today, so that should tell me which fuse is for the cigarette lighter, so I can fit the hardwiring kit!

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
Hi,
You can use any fuse that is only live when the ignition is on, I used the one for the rear offside window as it was easy to get at, a certain amount of flexibility, good eyesight, a torch and needle nosed pliers are required to pull and replace Honda mini fuses which seem to have a sleeve which stops them going into the piggy back thingy, you need some halfords  replacement mini fuses.
Chris

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
Hi,
You can use any fuse that is only live when the ignition is on, I used the one for the rear offside window as it was easy to get at, a certain amount of flexibility, good eyesight, a torch and needle nosed pliers are required to pull and replace Honda mini fuses which seem to have a sleeve which stops them going into the piggy back thingy, you need some halfords  replacement mini fuses.
Chris

Thanks, I got the wire in easily be removing the door rubber, it was a lot easier than I was expecting.
Everything's in place, I just need to drop by Halfords for a 20A fuse, then I'll be good to go :D!

Tags:

anything