Author Topic: Jazz cold start  (Read 2720 times)

casper1240

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2015 CVT Petrol
Jazz cold start
« on: August 25, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
First time ive had a problem    with a Jazzthis is my 3rd Jazz went to start it this morning but the engine just kept turning over without firing up fist time its happened called Honda assist as its still under warranty from Southport Honda its a 2015 late plate new shape The AA man said it was probably flooded which i found a bit hard to believe to be honest as it normally kicks off after one turn he kept turning the engine over and it eventually started a bit worrying anyone else had the same problem ?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Jazz cold start
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:01:52 PM »
I recall that someone previously had a similar problem which occurred after they had run the engine briefly for a short vehicle move. Had you previously done this? Anyway, the old treatment for a reluctant starter of right foot on the floor still applies.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
I recall that someone previously had a similar problem which occurred after they had run the engine briefly for a short vehicle move. Had you previously done this? Anyway, the old treatment for a reluctant starter of right foot on the floor still applies.

That was me, the AA guy said that flooding was a common callout on Monday mornings after weekend driveway shunting. He advised not stopping a cold engine if it could be avoided. He also told me that flooring the accelerator during starting initiated "Clear flood mode" in the engine ECU.

The thread to search for is Starting issues, I don't know how to link to it.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:29:33 PM by Skyrider »

casper1240

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
yes come to think of it i did start the car yesterday to move it a few yards then turned the engine off and parked it wonder if the choke being on flooded the engine as it was only running for about a minute makes sense thanks for that

casper1240

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »

That was me, that AA guy said that flooding was a common callout on Monday mornings after weekend driveway shunting. He advised not stopping a cold engine if it could be avoided. He also told me that flooring the accelerator during starting initiated "Clear flood mode" in the engine ECU.

The thread to search for is Starting issues, I don't know how to link to it.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
Historically I have had problems starting from cold, in my garage, in winter. In my case though the most common occurence was that the engine would fire as normal but then idle at very low rpm (like 300 rpm) before after a second or so either raising the RPM to a more sensible 1,500 or else stalling. On some occasions though it did turn many, many times before firing. On one such occasion it failed to fire.

It always fired perfectly normally on the second attempt.

Intriguingly last winter I had no problems at all. Coincidentally (?) I ran a dehumidifier inside the house all winter for the first time ever. Since my garage is part of the house it's possible that a dehumidifier could eventually reduce humidity inside the garage.

For what it's worth my car almost never had any problems starting in the evenings at work despite being outside in a car park in all conditions. It has been suggested by some on this forum that it might be a mass flow sensor issue and that by reducing the humidity I solved the problem.

My dealer looked at the car but could find no fault. Amusingly the courtesy car they lent me had the same starting problem after being sat on my drive all day. So it seems like there's something about my house that Honda Jazz don't like and that can possibly be cured by running a dehumidifier. The mind boggles :-/

Tags: