Author Topic: Please excuse this basic question.  (Read 5845 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Please excuse this basic question.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 10:12:15 PM »
This discussion reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother before buying an automatic. Even before stop start systems (he currently drives a 2017 BMW 4 Series) it was his routine to hold the car on the footbrake and in drive in almost every stop situation apart from long stops when he would go into park. He had always done this so couldn't really see my issue.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding stop/start.

It is always switched on in my car, but it almost never activates, simply because the pedal pressure is too low.
I was always taught to 'feather' the brake pedal in the final yard or so, coming to a stop, to avoid jolting my passengers.
Consequently the pedal pressure is reduced and so the stop/start does not activate.
On the odd occasion when is does, the restart is instant and virtually not noticeable.

However if I am to be stopped, more than a few seconds, I drop into neutral and use the handbrake, though I suspect that this is not taught nowadays, judging by the sea of brake-lights at most junctions!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding stop/start.

I agree, its much like the fuss about auto lights and / or wipers. It just proves that car is basically a good design and there are only trivial things to complain about that are really only personal preferences.

I think the petrol filler cover is far too heavy to operate being metal and should be made of plastic. :'(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:00:50 PM by Skyrider »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
However if I am to be stopped, more than a few seconds, I drop into neutral and use the handbrake, though I suspect that this is not taught nowadays, judging by the sea of brake-lights at most junctions!
Whoever is at the back of a queue should keep the brake lights on to warn anyone approaching. For the rest of the vehicles it shouldn't be too difficult to add a little more technology in the form of a rear-facing camera (many now have them) and apply the simple logic "I'm stopped, I can see the vehicle behind is stopped, therefore switch off (or dim) the brake lights". Then we wouldn't need to grumble about the auto-stop and the brake lights on an automatic.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
My old BMC Austin 1800, built in 1968, had rear brake lights that reduced their intensity if the rest of the lights were on, so they were not as bright after dark as in broad daylight.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
My old BMC Austin 1800, built in 1968, had rear brake lights that reduced their intensity if the rest of the lights were on, so they were not as bright after dark as in broad daylight.
My old Triumph 2000 did the same.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
In today's traffic you need LED eye burners, especially on a motorway in poor visibility. You don't have to look at brake lights when stopped.

Tags:

anything