Author Topic: Please excuse this basic question.  (Read 5876 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Please excuse this basic question.
« on: August 25, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
Getting used to my Jazz CVT and enjoying driving it.
Forty odd years in the saddle with various manual change cars but this is my first automatic.
Was a bit nervous ( I'm not a young man anymore !) but gaining confidence.
This really is a silly question and forgive me for asking....it's probably  basic for you young people out there.....
When stopped in traffic or at traffic lights I'm leaving the car in D mode and keeping my foot on the brake before moving it to the accelerator pedal to move away smoothly.
BUT  should I hold it with the handbrake or change the shift lever to N and apply the handbrake ?
Thank you for your patience with me and my daft question.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Please excuse this basic question.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
There have been long debates about this before and no doubt this will spark another!

Personally I normally leave it in D and use the footbrake, which invokes autostop, or if I don't wan't to use autostop I press lightly on the footbrake.

There are those here who will curse me as a brakelight dazzler !

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
There have been long debates about this before and no doubt this will spark another!

Personally I normally leave it in D and use the footbrake, which invokes autostop, or if I don't wan't to use autostop I press lightly on the footbrake.

I do the same

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 12:17:40 PM »

So do I, unless it's a long wait, when I go into P and switch off.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »
Only after dark Mike :).  Once the face lift HR-V is out I will be joining the clan.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
I was anxious about this before I got my CVT and that was my first automatic (apart from hire cars in the USA). Using the footbrake is now second nature. Initially I was tensing the right leg and I started to yearn for my old routine - into neutral, handbrake on - at lights.

But I've gradually relaxed a bit and it's second nature to me now. I think at a longer stop I would be park and engine off (level crossings etc).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
Ideally for a long wait one would move to neutral and apply the handbrake. Unfortunately the idle stop that Honda implemented will only keep the engine off while you keep the brake pedal depressed. That being the case unless you're looking at a very long stop (like being in a traffic jam) you might as well just hold the car on the foot brake and leave it in 'D'.

It's annoying (I used to criticise drivers doing that) but since we have idle stop on our cars we ought to try and gain the most from it. Plus everyone else is doing it (even, presumably manual drivers) so, meh.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Fortunately the MK3 jazz has a torque converter CVT so it can stay stopped in drive or creep at low speed indefinitely without any risk of damage. Unlike some other transmissions.

This may be of interest.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:46:37 PM by Skyrider »

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
Am I the only one to leave it in D and hold it on the handbrake? I find it uncomfortable to sit with my foot on the foot brake. I always turn auto stop off as I don’t like how it’s implemented on a cvt

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
Am I the only one to leave it in D and hold it on the handbrake? I find it uncomfortable to sit with my foot on the foot brake. I always turn auto stop off as I don’t like how it’s implemented on a cvt

I'd like the option to go into neutral, handbrake on and still have the auto idle stop functioning. On the manual the car starts on depressing the accelerator. Why can't that be done on the CVT? There is obviously a reason but I can't work out what it is.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »

I'd like the option to go into neutral, handbrake on and still have the auto idle stop functioning. On the manual the car starts on depressing the accelerator. Why can't that be done on the CVT? There is obviously a reason but I can't work out what it is.

I think auto start involves the clutch pedal in a manual car.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:36:22 PM by Skyrider »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
On the manual the car starts on depressing the accelerator. Why can't that be done on the CVT? There is obviously a reason but I can't work out what it is.

Perhaps with an automatic in gear the car would surge forward as soon as the engine started, not a good idea if in stationary traffic.

Vic.

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »
On the manual the car starts on depressing the accelerator. Why can't that be done on the CVT? There is obviously a reason but I can't work out what it is.

Perhaps with an automatic in gear the car would surge forward as soon as the engine started, not a good idea if in stationary traffic.

Vic.

This is probably the reason it works like it does as the car automatically holds the brakes until the engine is restarted

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »

Vic.

This is probably the reason it works like it does as the car automatically holds the brakes until the engine is restarted

Really? Neither my manual or CVT cars have any brake hold other than hill start assist unless you have a foot planted on the brake pedal.

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »

Vic.

Really? Neither my manual or CVT cars have any brake hold other than hill start assist unless you have a foot planted on the brake pedal.

Yeah it’s in the manual for the cvt only

■ Starting Assist Brake Function
Briefly keeps the brake applied after releasing the brake pedal to restart the engine. This can keep your vehicle from unexpectedly moving while on an incline

Unless it only does it on an incline?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:25:49 PM by Ralph »

Tags:

anything