Author Topic: Atkinson engine and CVT  (Read 15273 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Atkinson engine and CVT
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
I didn't say exceeded 50 mph on the car speedometer. I said exceeded the speed limit.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
I didn't say exceeded 50 mph on the car speedometer. I said exceeded the speed limit.

That comment does highlight one of the big (for me) problems with the speed limiter control system. It sees the road sign "30" and sets the car speed to speedo 30. I normally drive at true 30 mph in 30 zones, not 27 mph. Similarly 40 and 50 zones.

You can notch it up to true 30 mph with the + button but that only works for that event and is not sticky.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
That's a fallback for when you get careless or sloppy.
I don't care what anyone says, no driver out there NEVER gets careless or sloppy. Not even the likes of Alonso, Hamilton, Senna or Schumacher. Whether it be down to a momentary lack of concentration, tiredness, boredom or a stressful situation, every one of us had had a lapse, however insignificant. If you have ever exceeded the speed limit, unless you have done so deliberately, you have been careless or sloppy. That, "exceeding the speed limit", may just be the moment you trigger the camera or speed gun
Nope. Most speedometers overread by at least 10%. If your speedometer is reading 50mph you will probably only be doing 47mph. In order to exceed the speed limit you need to let the needle 'drift' to nearly 55mph. Any driver that allows that to happen is not competent.

And to trigger any kind of police action (or to get a photograph taken) you need to be going so fast that your speedometer is reading 60mph. Any driver intending to drive at 50mph that manages to trigger legal action is utterly incompetent and deserves everything they get.
I think a fundamental point is being missed here.  They are LIMITS not TARGETS.  I aim to drive at a speed suitable for the prevailing conditions so if, for example, children are playing by the side of the road, I will slow down.  The speed limiter helps me to concentrate on important  things like that.

I don't care about others attitudes, that is how I drive and don't consider myself incompetent.  But neither am I perfect either.  And I totally agree with Jocko's statement.  Anyone who doesn't is in my mind delusional.

Tags:

anything