Author Topic: Rear windscreen replaced - rubber seal/gasket missing  (Read 1160 times)

blackworx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 1.4 i-VTEC ES Manual
Rear windscreen replaced - rubber seal/gasket missing
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
Hi All,

Just had my rear windscreen replaced after it was smashed overnight by some wee scrotes (grr).

Didn't get a chance to look at it when I collected it as the workshop was crazy busy.  Got home and checked it out to find the rubber seal between the glass and the metal bootlid frame was not there any more.

This is my first windscreen replacement on any vehicle, so before I go back to the garage with it I'm just wondering whether anyone knows if this is common practise, e.g. is the gasket's function likely to now be fulfilled by some sort of polyeurethane sealant or something that I'm just not seeing?

Cheers

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Rear windscreen replaced - rubber seal/gasket missing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
Yep
Glued in place.
A lot easier than trying to get the glass into the old rubber seals.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Rear windscreen replaced - rubber seal/gasket missing
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »
There is a rubber 'skirt ' along bottom and around the sides and the top of glass that forms a seal between tailgate and the aperture that it closes into.  This is glued to the window glass and in turn the glass is fitted into place with polyurethane sealant. The rubber seal is to close the gap up between door and its frame and cut down wind noise and be first line of defence against water getting past door seal.  I would complain to window shop as I think they have done a bit of a shoddy job not fitting the rubber seal back to the glass,  or maybe the proper OEM glass comes with the rubber seal already fitted and they have fitted a generic part.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: