Author Topic: 'Bump' on full lock  (Read 5052 times)

guest695

'Bump' on full lock
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »

Whilst reversing, I noticed a 'bump' on full steering lock on my 03' Jazz.  ???
What could this be? The steering rack was replaced a year ago. Haven't been over any curbs to damage the steering?!

Any advice..?! Thanks!

guest765

• Topic Starter
Re: 'Bump' on full lock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
Its not wise to turn on full lock with power steering..........it gets lumpy or some weird noises can occur......... ;D

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
When I get to full lock I always ease back slightly to aviod any noises or strain on the steering rack.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »
I've been reversing on full lock (against the stop) for at least 25 years with power steering, last 3 cars with electric pumps, and never had a problem.
It's the only way I can turn on my drive.
My ageing 1975 Triumph Stag never had a problem either.
This business of not holding against the stops may have meant something 40 years ago when power steering was a rarity, but I think it's a bit 'old hat' these days!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:57:24 PM by Geoffers »

guest1200

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »

Whilst reversing, I noticed a 'bump' on full steering lock on my 03' Jazz.  ???
What could this be? The steering rack was replaced a year ago. Haven't been over any curbs to damage the steering?!

Any advice..?! Thanks!

I have exactly the same problem I thought it might be tbe wheel rim pinching the tyre as it happens more when the tyre pressure is slightly low, especially more now since the start of the really cold weather. I have steel wheels. Would be grateful for an answer as it really makes me jump when it happens, I go to great lengths trying not to use full lock.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
The Jazz has an exceptional lock and I am very careful when manovering on full lock as it looks like the wheels could fold under.

Is the bump you feel the tyre scrubbing / jumping? I am not sure what the ackerman is like on these extremes of lock.

guest1200

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
Thank you for answering, the bump feels like the wheel actually drops  fractionally and it does seem the same sort of feeling and noise if you pull away with a complete flat, but it only lasts a second and although it happens more than once each manoeuvre it is not continuous. I wondered about over inflating the front tyres to see if that made any difference.

Tags:

anything