Author Topic: Oil consumption.  (Read 6660 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Oil consumption.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
Thanks for the answer sparky Paul. I knew there must be more to it than conventional wisdom and, evidently, there is. Of course any oil change must be better than none (assuming the right oil is used).

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Oil consumption.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »
Interested in the oil extraction through the dipstick method Jazzway. I've always felt that this can't be that satisfactory as it won't allow the muck at the bottom of the sump to drain out.

But am I right?
I made some photos of this first time, Pete.

And it is just like sparky Paul said, a very very easy DIY job, especially for oil changes in between services by the garage.

Btw, the amount of oil being changed without the oil filter was exact as in the manual stated.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
It looks like a great idea, but I never change the oil without changing the oil filter, so someone will still have to get underneath and get dirty!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:09 PM »
Indeed Jocko, you still have to scrabble about to change the oil filter. That said, it certainly makes the job a lot easier and cleaner, with less risk of any spills or drips. It's very easy to empty the waste oil from mine into an empty oil container without any mess.

If you were doing extra changes, the oil filter should last the specified interval anyway - and changing the oil mid interval should reduce the load on the filter a bit.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
I am thinking in investing in the Sealey one (about £40) so I can change the oil every six months and the filter every year. My son-in-law can get that job. It is not as if I do a huge annual mileage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »
Indeed Jocko, you still have to scrabble about to change the oil filter. That said, it certainly makes the job a lot easier and cleaner, with less risk of any spills or drips. It's very easy to empty the waste oil from mine into an empty oil container without any mess.

If you were doing extra changes, the oil filter should last the specified interval anyway - and changing the oil mid interval should reduce the load on the filter a bit.

I think Honda service departments have been using the dipstick sucker for many years,  it would certainly explain why 2 to 3 year old cars we have bought from dealers with full Honda service history have had oil filters that have been rusty on the outside and look like original OEM ones,  so even if the oil got changed ( ???) the filters certainly did not.  My only doubt with the availability of this equipment is that some oil filters will rarely if ever get changed. 

Having said that the oil change on Civic is a bit of a mare as mahoosive aluminium undertray with about 7 or 8 screws and the oil filter hidden in an angled 'tube' overlapping the fixed plastic undertray surround (only the end is showing) and I have to use a 14 sided oil filter socket to remove it, I also have to bash a hole in the bottom of filter with a screwdriver to get oil out of it because if you try to remove it without you get an armful of oil and a lot goes onto the fixed plastic undertray that you don't remove  and runs around on it, I had to drill a couple of holes in the plastic undertray to let oil drain back out - on the Civic Diesel the oil filter was on top of engine looking at you when you opened the bonnet WTF !............

Thinking about getting one and changing the filter every second oil change....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
You'll find all of these Sealey, Pela and various other brands that look the same are actually identical, so go for the cheapest.

I've got the bigger Sealey TP69, it's more robust than the smaller one, and has done sterling service for many years without a bit of trouble. That said, I know someone with the smaller ball-shaped one, and it does the job just fine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:10:44 PM by sparky Paul »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Oil consumption.
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
I am thinking in investing in the Sealey one (about £40) so I can change the oil every six months and the filter every year. My son-in-law can get that job. It is not as if I do a huge annual mileage.
That is how i do it. In spring i do it myself now and in October it is done together with a new oil filter (Honda) and the annual service at my brother-in-laws’s garage.
Our car does about 8,000/9,000 kilometers a year, btw. But there are daily short trips with the dogs in that kilometrage.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:44:53 AM by jazzway »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »
Just done an oil change on the Civic with the Sealey 5.5 litre vacuum extractor i got late last year ( have used it for other things than oil in the meantime though, very useful bit of kit ).  The tube met a bit of a ledge or something on its way to sump but a bit of twisting got it past.  When I thought I had hit bottom I marked the Sealey tube level with the top of dipstick holder and pulled it back out to check against length of dipstick and tube had gone in another 2" or so,  it took about 10 minutes to suck all the hot oil out and I measured how much came out in some cheap Aldi kitchen measuring jugs.  Happy to say got 3.8 litres out - there will be 100ml or so in the filter so happy with that.  The Honda filter has been on for a year - about 8K, so I am happy to leave it on another 12 months.

Much less hassle than getting the ramps and all the other kit out to do a drain, and I am happy to not disturb the drain plug.  I hardly got my hands dirty with the Sealey.

Her indoors Jazz next up... good to know I can change the oil in about half an hour :)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: