Author Topic: Broken windscreen washer reservoir dip stick  (Read 5346 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Broken windscreen washer reservoir dip stick
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
Was checking the windscreen washer reservoir and noticed the thin white plastic dipstick had separated from the blue coloured cap.

The quarter inch wide plastic dipstick thins out to half its width, and then bends through 90 degrees where upon it is snapped onto the underside of the blue cap.  It seemed like a very flimsy design.  It is broken at the thinnest point of the dipstick just under the cap.

Had a quick word with my Honda dealer as car is booked in for service later this week, and they advised Honda may not accept this 'broken part' as a warranty claim, and that most owners don't rely on the dipstick anyway which was a fair point....  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:03:15 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Broken windscreen washer reservoir dip stick
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
I've never known another car with a dipstick for the washer fluid, and I could never read mine. 
So I think it's a pretty pointless thing and can't imagine that you will miss it.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Yes I agree that dipstick is pointless and I too cant seem to read it.

On the Civic '02' reg the dipstick is much better. All you do is place your finger on top of the dipstick and withdraw it from the tube. The level is the liquid showing in the tube. Simple..........

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
The windscreen washer fluid bottle is completely hidden and with the bend in the neck it is impossible to see the level of the fluid from the neck, so if you don't have a dipstick how can you know how much fluid is in there?  I suppose a lot more people would have moaned if Honda hadn't fitted one. If you wipe the dipstick dry with a bit of paper tissue or cloth it is easier to see the level. It serves the same purpose as the oil dipstick, because you can't see the oil in your sump either can you.

I know that Honda say that most owners don't rely on the dipstick, but then there are people in this world who don't know and don't seem to care what goes on under the bonnet of their car and never bother looking, then moan like hell when their neglected car looses them down and blame the maker of the car for not making the oil, battery and washerbottle etc 'self topping up'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Geoffers

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
The washer dipstick on my GD broke off after about 9 months. Seems to be a very flimsy attachment!

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:35:52 AM »
My Honda dealer sorted out a new dipstick for free.

They didn't bother to put it through as a warranty claim as they knew Honda would reject the claim.

I suppose a lot more people would have moaned if Honda hadn't fitted one.
You could be right there.

Another thought is there is a key difference between maintaining the correct level in say the oil sump and the washer reservoir.  If the oil sump ran dry or was overfilled, it is detrimental to the engine.

But for majority of owners, if the windscreen washer reservoir ran dry, all they'd have to do is refill the reservoir later at their leisure.  I noticed the garage virtually brimmed the reservoir when they serviced my car yesterday, perhaps to highlight the fact to me the dipstick serves no useful purpose whatsoever.....

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
The windscreen washer fluid bottle is completely hidden and with the bend in the neck it is impossible to see the level of the fluid from the neck, so if you don't have a dipstick how can you know how much fluid is in there?

Well you can't I suppose, but then the same applies to our Mitsubishi and my Mercedes.  I check the oil level at home and while the bonnet is open I always top up the washer bottles as a matter of course.  I guess if your procedure is different then it's more important to be able to see the level.

Tags:

anything