Author Topic: Spare Wheel / Under Boot Storage Finishing..  (Read 16165 times)

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
Re: Spare Wheel / Under Boot Storage Finishing..
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 09:13:55 AM »
I was quoted £250  for the 2018 spare wheel kit - again this would be a tyre saver.....

Do AA not charge if they were to swap your wheel with one of theirs during a puncture swapout?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
This outfit is usually competitive on price although there is no floor support on their website. It might be worth giving them a phone. They are a Honda main dealer so should be able to quote a price.

When I ordered  a set of rubber mats from them they also sent me a CRV spare wheel kit I did not order! They did arrange a courier to collect it. :-)

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda/honda-jazz/2016-jazz/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:37:46 AM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
Skyrider is 100% right  :-X

When you finally get around to upgrading your Jazz to a MK3 I will be interested to know what option you choose a) rely on the supplied bottle of gunk b) buy a Honda space-saver kit for £100+ or c) buy a full size spare and do a bit of DIY?

If a full size spare fits get one - driving on the spacesaver (done it twice) is not an experience I wish to repeat.  My only gripe with Civic is that although my Civic wheel well is deep enough and long / wide enough for a full size spare the way you have to wriggle the spare in under a lip at the front means that it has to enter the wheel well at an angle and because the wheel is bigger across the diagonal corners means it won't go in - I could loose the air out and it might,  but that defeats the object of having an inflated spare.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
I agree a full sized spare is a good idea if you are a regular long distance driver or do a long commute but the average jazz owner mainly uses their car for short journeys. A space saver is for temporary use, less than 50 miles, at less than 50 mph. Adequate for most, when are you further than 50 miles from a tyre shop?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
I paid £196 two years ago for the complete Honda mk3 spacesaver kit from the main dealer where I bought the car.  I decided to do so because the one I had in my mk2 was a 20 year old ex Rover 45 one, unused, and also of course I had to solve the irritating boot floor support problem.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
It is also worth remembering that a space saver should only be used on the rear of a front wheel drive car. So a bit of wheel swappery may be required in the case of a front puncture.

I was speaking with someone recently who had a puncture on a five lane section of the M25 where there was no hard shoulder. He hit debris and damaged a sidewall so glue no use and discovered he had no spare, it was his car!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:51:54 PM by Skyrider »

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
It is also worth remembering that a space saver should only be used on the rear of a front wheel drive car.so A bit of wheel swappery may be required in the case of a front puncture.

The owners manual says that?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
It is also worth remembering that a space saver should only be used on the rear of a front wheel drive car.so A bit of wheel swappery may be required in the case of a front puncture.

The owners manual says that?

No but common sense and informed advice does.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
Anyone got a pic of the same area with a spare wheel installed? Curious how much space is around it and on top for storage.

I have a full size, spare. Jack, tools etc, fit nicely in the wheel.
 I have recycled some cedarwood battens, from an old greenhouse, to support the boot floor.

Not a pretty sight. But functional, and lightweight.......

The wheel slopes downward, compared to floor. Consequently, cross battens are different thicknesses.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »
 Simple and effective, brilliant! It is just about within my woodworking skills, I will remember that fix.

guest7666

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
I opted for the spare wheel from the Honda dealer for my 2018 Jazz. You do get a space saver. The tools to change the wheel over and you get to keep the inflation pump and tyre repair kit. All of it fits into the correct new shape piece of foam. It was £250 but I hope to have the car for around 10 years use so I decided it was worth getting the official one. The boot carpet ends up been nice and level.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
The user manual wallet fits into one of the vacant receses.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »
I opted for the spare wheel from the Honda dealer for my 2018 Jazz. You do get a space saver. The tools to change the wheel over and you get to keep the inflation pump and tyre repair kit. All of it fits into the correct new shape piece of foam. It was £250 but I hope to have the car for around 10 years use so I decided it was worth getting the official one. The boot carpet ends up been nice and level.
That's the way I would go if I was buying a new car. Make do and mend is fine with an old banger, but if you buy a new car you want the real thing. £250 is small fry compared with the cost of the car.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »

So the spare spacer saver fits under a new style foam insert? Does the foam fit snuggly over the spare wheel, I guess so? If its like that ill prob buy it. But ill end up with the original foam with no resale value probably  :(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:20:15 PM by JazzyJJ »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »

So the spare spacer saver fits under a new style foam insert? Does the foam fit snuggly over the spare wheel, I guess so? If its like that ill prob buy it. But ill end up with the original foam with no resale value probably  :(

Put the redundant under floor storage thing in your garage, shed, loft, under your stairs or wherever then put it in the car when you trade it in or sell it. You keep the spare wheel kit. Mine went into my 2016 trade in and I kept the spare wheel kit for this car.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:48:58 PM by Skyrider »

Tags:

anything