Author Topic: 500 miles on a tankful.  (Read 3861 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
500 miles on a tankful.
« on: June 07, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
I have just managed 500 miles on a tank of petrol, a new record for me. And the warning light only just came on as I turned into the filling station. Amazing what warm, dry weather does to FE.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: 500 miles on a tankful.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
Blimey Jocko. Never got even close to that. Good effort!

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »
where did you find 500 miles all downhill?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »
where did you find 500 miles all downhill?
50:50 town and urban driving. I am lucky though. Almost half my town driving happens around 06:30.

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
I have just managed 500 miles on a tank of petrol, a new record for me. And the warning light only just came on as I turned into the filling station. Amazing what warm, dry weather does to FE.
Wow, this is making me feel even more worse on selling my perfectly fine 04 jazz which was giving me a far superior mileage compared to my newer MK2 jazz. It's winter mileage was better than my current summer average for MK2. Plus I sold my older one for peanuts compared to what I paid for the new one. Not that my new car is bad but MK1 was just superb on fuel efficiency. Really regret selling it everyday.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
Wow, this is making me feel even more worse on selling my perfectly fine 04 jazz which was giving me a far superior mileage compared to my newer MK2 jazz. It's winter mileage was better than my current summer average for MK2. Plus I sold my older one for peanuts compared to what I paid for the new one. Not that my new car is bad but MK1 was just superb on fuel efficiency. Really regret selling it everyday.

Interesting comment. If you look at the official figures, each model has, officially at least, improved the mpg but you are not the first person to note that the Mk1 was exceptionally good on mpg compared to later cars.

The engineers amongst us might know the answer to this but is it anything to do with the Atkinson cycle? The reason I ask is a mate of mine has a Nissan Leaf and he gets better range WITHOUT the Eco button which flattens the throttle response. There is then a tendency to press harder to gain momentum thus defeating the object somewhat.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »

Interesting comment. If you look at the official figures, each model has, officially at least, improved the mpg but you are not the first person to note that the Mk1 was exceptionally good on mpg compared to later cars.

The engineers among us might know the answer to this but is it anything to do with the Atkinson cycle? The reason I ask is a mate of mine has a Nissan Leaf and he gets better range WITHOUT the Eco button which flattens the throttle response. There is then a tendency to press harder to gain momentum thus defeating the object somewhat.

The GD eight valve twin spark was a much underrated engine.  People thought it was not advanced because it 'only' had eight valves.  I actually think it was more suited to Jazz than later engines, it was tractable and would tolerate lazy gear changes, and as Jocko has illustrated is capable of amazing mpg without Atkinson cycle.   

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/lseries/index.html

Atkinson cycle may be a fudge to lower consumption and emissions under laboratory conditions while ignoring the 'driveability' of the vehicle.  My original 6th gen Civic 1.5VTEC-E ( Economy ) had about 90 ponies (felt like more) had 12/16 valve 2 stage VTEC ( up to about 2500 revs only 1 of the inlet valves in each cylinder opened,  after that another cam was switched in and all 4 valves operated) and was a lovely car that could get over 50mpg on a run without trying too hard (also the last Honda with unequal length double wishbone suspension - handled really well,  after that Honda went to single wishbone with Macpherson strut like every other tom, dick and harry carmaker).

http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:59:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
500 miles to the tank is not all that difficult to achieve. With an approximately 9.2 gallon tank (Honda's official figure for the Mk 1) you need only get 55 mpg, and and at this time of the year I can do that standing on my head (not on the brakes I might add). Today I did a trip into town, shopping, my usual trip over to the south of Edinburgh, a trip to the shops while there, a return trip, then hit the supermarket here in Kirkcaldy. According to my ScanGauge I got 61.3 mpg for the day.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »
only need 55mpg? I just got it up to 41 mpg after starting to drive more on the motorway. i dont see it ever getting much higher.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
I find motorway driving the worst for trying to up my mpg. Town driving is the most productive and urban driving is good as well. In the two years I have owned the car the very worse I have ever achieved, for a full tank top up (calculated), is 47 mpg.
Perhaps, smilertoo, if you want to get good mpg you need to reassess your driving style and habits.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:29:21 PM by Jocko »

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
only need 55mpg? I just got it up to 41 mpg after starting to drive more on the motorway. i dont see it ever getting much higher.
Yeah, 55mpg was unrealistic for me to ever also achieve, the most I could manage was 46-47mpg based on tank full to full measurement on my MK1. With Mk2 my current average is around 40mpg on the same mostly A type roads and I don't think my driving style or traffic has really changed. I always try to drive with a soft foot and well within speed limit.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
Back in 2016 I had occasion to do a 70 odd mile round trip daily for a month - mostly motorway but busy motorway, almost impossible to do 70 so you ended up probably averaging 50/55 mph. I have to say I got my best ever mpg figures of a tad over 56 mpg - this was in my 2013 1.4 EX Manual.

So I have this theory that busy motorways - as long as the traffic keeps moving - are the best.

The other thing, more generally, is length of journey. What kills my mpg are the number of 2 mile journeys I do and when the roads are quite busy.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »
when i got it the computer showed the previous owner got 19.5mpg, town driving really hammers it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
The other thing, more generally, is length of journey. What kills my mpg are the number of 2 mile journeys I do and when the roads are quite busy.
Five days a week I do one 3.6 mile trip, and two, occasionally three 2 mile trips a day, and that is it, Monday to Friday. Saturday I do two 40 mile runs on dual carriageway and urban roads. That is my entire motoring life these days.
Around town I seldom use a lower gear than 3rd. It is mainly 3rd and 5th, with a bit of 4th when going downhill and in 20 mph zones. I accelerate briskly and hardly ever need to brake around town, except when approaching a junction downhill. The thing is, I drive the same routes every day and can judge perfectly my lift off positions to avoid using the brakes.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
hmmm, i spend most of my time in 4th gear. only go to 5th on the motorway.

Tags: